Just finished my new 6.5x47 "sheep rifle"

C

chuck williams

Chuckw said:

URL=http://s944.photobucket.com/user/selfbowhunter/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-1.jpg.html]
image-1.jpg
[/URL]

I built this rifle up for an aoudad hunt that didnt pan out too well. Its a 6.5x47 on a remington 700sa that i trued up prior to fitting a shilen SS match grade 1-9 #2 contour blank. It is finished at 20". I finished the bolt in KG flat black. The barrel and receiver were finished in a mix of three colors i had left over from other projects. I call it **** brown but its really almost black. Light weight was the name of the game when i built this rifle. It has a straight bolt handle that was welded on by accu-tig. I then made several lightening holes in the handle and bored out the knob. LRI did the bolt fluting in their high helical. I installed a sako extractor in this one. I do the m-16 type as well but i really lime the sako. Its a bdl as you can see and its nestled in a B&C alaskan II stock. The trigger is a factory old style i honed on and slicked up. I make my brass out of 22-250 with a large primer pocket. I am shooting the 123 amax at 2825fps. It shoots 1/2moa at this velocity. I can go up to 3000fps but accuracy suffers. It LOVES the 123 scenar and shoots better groups but i was leary of trusting a once in a lifetime hunt to that bullet. Cant wait to lay something down with this little bang stick!

Built my buddy a .308 very similiar as well.

Nice... 22-250 brass? Hmmm im new to the -47L, my buddy just built me one as well... I & my boys love it!

Nice looking rifle. I have one I really like also. Would you please elaborate on why the 22-250 brass? Didn't make sense to me. 6.5X47 Lapua brass is available. My gunsmith had told me the smaller primer pockets was an advantage??? Thanks. Bruce

This photo shows the steps in formingks the brass from 22-250. I use a shortened .308 die to begin the new shoulder and a FL 6.5x47 to finish it up. The brass has to be trimmed quite a bit and fireformed. I habe had ZERO problems wth the large primer pocket and pressures. As stated, i can push the 123 to 3000fps with no ill effect IN A 20" BARREL. I refuse to be married to one source of brass even if its lapua. I am also quite frugal!

This photo shows the steps in formingks the brass from 22-250. I use a shortened .308 die to begin the new shoulder and a FL 6.5x47 to finish it up. The brass has to be trimmed quite a bit and fireformed. I habe had ZERO problems wth the large primer pocket and pressures. As stated, i can push the 123 to 3000fps with no ill effect IN A 20" BARREL. I refuse to be married to one source of brass even if its lapua. I am also quite frugal!
Well done.

I can understand being frugal. As long as it gets you the results that you want. Looks good to me. I'm running a 130 at 2900 fps with a 24 inch barrel. Doesn't seem to be overly hot. Thanks for sharing. I love shooting mine! Bruce

I can understand being frugal. As long as it gets you the results that you want. Looks good to me. I'm running a 130 at 2900 fps with a 24 inch barrel. Doesn't seem to be overly hot. Thanks for sharing. I love shooting mine! Bruce
That's the kind of frugal I understand.

The results will speak.... most likely loudly and well.

I'm pretty sure a 130 at 2900 is mild.

Thanks for sharing, I don't think I'm gonna do a 6.5x47L, I was thinking more of a 6-6.5x47L but time will tell.

There's some question of how well the small rifle primers will ignite in extremely cold weather conditions. Some folks say they don't want to trust the small rifle primers in extreme cold. Forming them from 22-250 brass is a way to get large rifle primer brass for the 6.5x47. If I were looking at a sheep hunt with the possibilities of cold weather I'd probably do it for the more sure ignition of the large primers.

Sheep hunting and frugal don't mix well. Good luck. Nice sensible rifle though.

It was an aoudad hunt which is most likely as close as i am likely to get to "sheep" hunting. It was a disaster and we only stayed 1 day of a 5 day hunt. Will likely have to sue to recoop our money due to FRAUD. If anyone is going to west texas DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT JOSEPH GEDMAN AND MAGNUM OUTFITTERS EL PASO!!! The guy is a straight up crook.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.