6.5x284 Norma

Jon2

Dear all

I took delivery of my new 6.5x284 last week and thought I would post some pics.

First 3 shots out of the rifle did this (.412):

I then played around with seating depth until I did two groups like this (in the 2's):

After the 2 quarter inch groups I wanted to see if the accuracy I was experiencing at 100 yards would extrapolate at range. I then put this group in at 300 yards (bull is 2" in diameter):

Drop chart and load development done within a few days.

The specs on the rifle is as follows:

Stiller Predator action.
Border (Archer) barrel (S5 profile) .292 neck.
B&C Stock (Alaskan II).
Tuned Remington trigger.
PTG bottom metal.

The load I have settled on is:

52.8 grns N165
Lapua brass
140 Amax
Fed 210M

20 thou off.

Just need to start testing it on some furry, hairy or feathery creatures now.

Kind regards

Thanks for the kind words gents.

Yes I will add to the post again once I've caught up with something fury.

KR

JB

Nice rig, looks like you have it dialed into chewing a ragged hole :D I have found different calibers based on the 284 cartridge always seem to be accurate.

Where are you located?

Thanks Bob

It's the first 6.5 x 284 I've ever had and I really do like it. Very mild recoil too. I'm in the UK - more specifically Cheshire.

I was thinking of a Shehane possibly as a switch barrel on this action but I'm going to run this for a while before I decide.

KR

I am currently shooting the 6mm-284 & 22-284, both very accurate with lots of down range energy. Do you see alot of shooters using IOR valdada & March optics? I am looking into the big plunge on a spendy optic.

Looks like very nice country to get some long shots, I am in West Michigan (Lake Michigan).

Yes the IOR's have a limited following over here. The newer ones suffered some quality issues and the UK importer pulled out. I think the warranty issues now are handled by an outfit in the Nerherlands. I personally preferred the previous model IOR's (with the blue ring on the ocular bell). I have 2 friends who still have these and they have never had any issues so far.

Ref the March scope they have started to gain momentum within the target shooting community and they have a very good rep.

Dear all

I took delivery of my new 6.5x284 last week and thought I would post some pics.

First 3 shots out of the rifle did this (.412):

I then played around with seating depth until I did two groups like this (in the 2's):

After the 2 quarter inch groups I wanted to see if the accuracy I was experiencing at 100 yards would extrapolate at range. I then put this group in at 300 yards (bull is 2" in diameter):

Drop chart and load development done within a few days.

The specs on the rifle is as follows:

Stiller Predator action.
Border (Archer) barrel (S5 profile) .292 neck.
B&C Stock (Alaskan II).
Tuned Remington trigger.
PTG bottom metal.

The load I have settled on is:

52.8 grns N165
Lapua brass
140 Amax
Fed 210M

20 thou off.

Just need to start testing it on some furry, hairy or feathery creatures now.

Kind regards

Looking great mate and good to see another forum member from over here!!
Cracking caliber , i was using a RPA in the same caliber and was using the same bullet / primer / cases and 50 grains of H4831SC to give me 2900fps.
Let us know how you get on hunting with it - great bullet for hunting!!!
I know use a 280 Ackley with 162 A-max which i picked up earlier in the year!!
Happy hunting and enjoy your new rifle!!!

Cheers Ray

Glad you think the Amax is good on game. I have had great results with them in another rifle I have and my bro uses the 162 Amax in his 7 mag.

Good thing is ofcourse you can get them in the post.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers Ray

Glad you think the Amax is good on game. I have had great results with them in another rifle I have and my bro uses the 162 Amax in his 7 mag.

Good thing is ofcourse you can get them in the post.

Thanks for the input.
Hi mate and thanks for reply!!
I have used the 105 A-max in a 243 Ackley for hunting / 155s in a 308 / 140s in the 6.5-284 / 123s in a 6.5-55 ackley / and now the 162 A-maxs - all been good performers so far!!!
Happy hunting and all the best ,
Ray.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.