6.5x284 Full Custom

Don't have a 6.5x284. I'm too partial to the 6.5-06AI but most I've shot seem to like both 1000 and Ret. if your getting the vel you want out of your 4831 I think you have a winner. How far off the lands?

.006 - .007
Im still working the powder up because im trying to find my slight pressure wall while hoping to find an ES in the single to low double digits in the process.

Might try .020-.030" off and see what that does to your ES. are you measuring off the ogive or tip? My 7mm and most my 6.5's shoot well seated that far off and all have ES 15 Fps or less. Most are less than 10. I use a lot of H1000 Ret and Ramshot mag.

Thanks trigger puller....
I am measuring off the ogive. So you think by playing ( backing off )with my seating depth i can manipulate my ES, with the same charge? To my way of thinking, it doesn't seem like that would affect it too much. But...........I have been proven wrong many a times. I might have too try it.
Brent

Thanks trigger puller....
I am measuring off the ogive. So you think by playing ( backing off )with my seating depth i can manipulate my ES, with the same charge? To my way of thinking, it doesn't seem like that would affect it too much. But...........I have been proven wrong many a times. I might have too try it.
Brent

Modifying your seating depth can certainly have an effect on ES. As you move the bullet in or out of the case, you change the internal dimension of the case and as a result the pressure changes and that can change your ES.

Might try .020-.030" off and see what that does to your ES. are you measuring off the ogive or tip? My 7mm and most my 6.5's shoot well seated that far off and all have ES 15 Fps or less. Most are less than 10. I use a lot of H1000 Ret and Ramshot mag.

Actually i was thinking of trying Ramshot because i have almost a full 1lb container in storage.

Modifying your seating depth can certainly have an effect on ES. As you move the bullet in or out of the case, you change the internal dimension of the case and as a result the pressure changes and that can change your ES.

Makes perfect sense.

57 grains ramshot mag would be a good place to start. It's a temp stable powder as well. That's what I'm shooting in my new 6.5 SAUM. 3170 with a 140 in a 24" tube.

In a 4 shot string I averaged 2984fps with 51.3gr. Thats the highest I've loaded. Accuracy was Ok at .75 MOA and ES was ok at 22fps. But my smith encouraged me to back it off a about 2 gr. because my barrel is still fairly young ( about 50-60 shots) and it would gradualy increase in velocity to where i want it. Also he said my groups would tighten up also.

Now I've got 90 shots through it and 50.5 gr. produces 2947fps. Thats a slight increase because 50.8gr produced 2941fps, about 15-20 shots prior to that. So he's right, but he also said it may take up to 120 shots for my Brux to hit its peak speed.
Groups have all been under 1 MOA and most have been under 3/4 MOA, with 4 shot strings. I hoping to get in the 2950-2975fps range under 50 gr. of H4350. I havn't seen any pressure yet either.

Sweet looking rig buddy! I was wondering what the dressed weight of your rig is? My 6.5x284 won't be done until April but I'm trying to get a gross weight, as your rifle is very similar to mine. Do you like the #5 contour? I was going to go with a #4 fluted to save a bit of weight while pounding the mountains, but I'm worried it might sacrifice some stiffness. Thoughts?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts