6.5x284 barrel question

Firearrow

I have been saving up for a 6.5x284 build, and I read something that kind of worried me. Seems the savage factory barrels are only lasting 800 rounds before they are at the behing stages of being shot out. I planed on a Brux or Kreiger barrel. So what is the shot life I could expect from the custom barrel in this caliber if I use a 140 Berger? Would not want to make this kind of investment on a build if the barrel last 800 shots. O ya it's going to be a hunting rifle.

Last edited:
From all of my reading the 6.5-284 has a normal barrel life of 1000-1500 rounds sometimes less if you run them hot.

I have a savage 111 6.5-284 and have 300 rounds or so through it and the throat has been moving, would have to check my notes but i would say it is 1/3 shot out at this point maybe a little less.

The 6.5mm x .284 is an excellent cartridge to have the barrel Melonite/Black Nitride (QPQ) treated. I have 625rds. down mine (Hart) with no sign of cracking or throat erosion (viewed with a HawkEye bore scope). Cartridge OAL is the same as when it was new.lightbulb

i have a 6.5-284 on a rem action with a shilen barrel that was built around 12 yrs ago. it has well over 3000 rounds down the barrel and i still use it for long range hunting. does it shoot like it did when it only had 200 rounds shot in it ? nope
but it still shoots a hell of a lot better then most factory rifles. my last long shot on game with it was an antelope that was 548 yrds . 1 shot right where i was aiming
it stills shoots better then a lot of guys i see trying to shoot long range

so build yours and shoot it till you feel it is not good enough anymore and then have another barrel put on it

1 guy might feel his barrel is shot out when it starts to shoot in the 3's and 4's and the next guy might wise his rifle would shoot that good .

That is exactly what I was thinking about doing. Was hoping someone would chim in on barrel life for a custom barrel and if it is 900-1100 shots, it would have it Melonited. I have two 6.8 barrels tht are Melonited andone has almost 2800 rounds down the tube and still shoots 0.5 when I use my good loads.

If I do melonite a bolt action barrel should I break in the barrel, then send it out. Or just have it Melonited and then go through the break in process?

That is exactly what I was thinking about doing. Was hoping someone would chim in on barrel life for a custom barrel and if it is 900-1100 shots, it would have it Melonited. I have two 6.8 barrels tht are Melonited andone has almost 2800 rounds down the tube and still shoots 0.5 when I use my good loads.

If I do melonite a bolt action barrel should I break in the barrel, then send it out. Or just have it Melonited and then go through the break in process?

Melonite first and make sure they don't get the barrel too hot during the process. It can screw up the coating and then you'll get a barrel that doesn't last long at all. Like 80 rounds with a 26 Nosler :rolleyes:

Also remember with Melonite it adds material, sometimes up to .0003 of barrel diameter. Not much, but could make a difference if its already a tight bore.

The 6.5x284 got the reputation of "barrel burner" from the benchrest guys that burn thru strings of ammo in a short time. For a hunting rifle, it'll last well over 1,000 rounds easy.

I love mine.

65_zps211f1d97.jpeg

Melonite first and make sure they don't get the barrel too hot during the process. It can screw up the coating and then you'll get a barrel that doesn't last long at all. Like 80 rounds with a 26 Nosler :rolleyes:

Also remember with Melonite it adds material, sometimes up to .0003 of barrel diameter. Not much, but could make a difference if its already a tight bore.

The 6.5x284 got the reputation of "barrel burner" from the benchrest guys that burn thru strings of ammo in a short time. For a hunting rifle, it'll last well over 1,000 rounds easy.

I love mine.

65_zps211f1d97.jpeg
Now,,, I really gotta' wonder, just how do you control what a metals treatment company does or doesn't do as far as temperature of their process? Choose a treater who is familar with doing barrels and has been in business for awhile with a good track record. I use H&M Metal Processing. Break the barrel in (if it needs broke in!) and clean it 'squeeky clean' before sending it off. I've sent barrels for treatment with as few as 5 rounds through 'um and have never had anything but poitive results. Last year I sent 15+ barrels to H&M for treatment. I just started shooting my 6mmAI. Had that one treated for sure!

Factory, or aftermarket barrels shoot out just the same. Nobody claims their barrels last longer.
Far as I know, melonite is the only thing that increases accurate barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.