6.5x284 Question

Ramses II

I hear the 6.5x284 is mucho popular for the 1000yd. shoots.

I hear the bullet of choice is the SMK 142 HPBT.

I understand that the 6.5mm bullets have a great BC, but does this load run into drift problems far out? Especially when compared to the .300 magnums shooting 190/200 gr. loads?

Just curoius?

Ramses II

Well BC is BC and thats whats making the differance in drift and drop at long range. The 140gr class bullets for the 6.5mm are realy high compaired to any of the 30 caliber bullets. considering that the 6.5-284 launches the 140's out close to the 3000fps mark and their BC is around .6 in some cases thats realy imperssive. You would have to shoot a 200-240gr class VLD style bullets out at the same speed to get the same drift and drop and that translates into alot of recoil.
I assume that you ment to say 1000yd shoots , but if not and you meant 100yds then the BC of the bullets realy doesen't meen much , you'ld be better off driving a light bullet realy fast so its in the air for a shorter time and the wind has less chance to affect it , thats what alot of guys shooting the 100 and 200yd comps shoot 6mm with the 60gr class bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.