6.5x284 Question

Ramses II

I hear a lot of folks rave about the 6.5x284 as a LR target round. I understand the 6.5MM bullets perform well. However, the 6.5x284 doesn't through it out that fast. Shouldn't the 6.5 Rem Mag or the .264 Win Mag perform better? Curious

Ramses II

Ramses II,

Remember that extreme range accuracy and performance is not all about velocity. Consistancy is much more important then an extra 200 fps in muzzle velocity at long or extreme range.

The 6.5mm284 is far easier to get to shoot extremely consistant from shot to shot and this is why it is so popular, also the fact that it has very low recoil and is relatively easy on a barrel and brass is very easy to get.

Extra velocity is a bonus as long as the consistancy stays the same, the larger the case capacity under a specific bore diameter, the more difficult it is to get that extreme quality consistant load. It can be done though, just not as easily as the smaller rounds.

Course you combine consistancy with higher velocity and you get a more more impressive numbers down range for sure.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Is the 6.5mm inherently more accurate than the .257s? The Wilcat bullets from Mr. Graves look to be the only choice when opting to go with the 25 cal over 6.5mm. Couple his bullets with the velocity of the 25s and you seem to have come up with a more accurate round. Any truth to that?

Auburn Tiger,

I would not say the 6.5mm is more inherently accurate by any means. I tend to not put much stock in this theory at all.

I will say that there has been several times as much testing on the 6.5mm bullets because they are used so much by target shooters. As a result there is a wide selection of 6.5mm match grade bullets.

Using the Wildcat Bullets, I would say you would see no difference at all between the 25-284 and the 6.5-284 except perhaps that the Wildcat Bullets will perform better on game.

Richard just sent me a big shippment of 142 gr .257 ULD RBBTs that have a B.C. of .800 and should work in a 1-10 twist barrel. I have loaded some up to see how they do in the standard twist. IF they work well this would be the ultimate in standar twist ballistics in a 1/4 rifle.

These are built on match grade jackets and not designed for big game use.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.