6.5 WSM help

I am looking for some help on building a 6.5 WSM for a long range hunting rifle. Max yardage of 750+- is my limit. I want a rifle that is packable for the day. I am 6'4" and 230, so 8.5 to 9lb with scope is good. What action, barrels, and stocks would be best? What twist rate with 130 to 160 range of bullets? I am thinking 27" barrel, not to heavy but still realize the excellent velocity potential, and downrange performance of this round. Thanks for the help guys, your opinions are certainly respected!

I think the 6.5 wsm would be an awesome round -good brass easy to neck down one size etc..

Personally i'd just pick out the componenets that would give me a good shooting longrange rig and roll out -if it is a little heavy that will pay dividends when you're squeezing the trigger on a distant blacktail buck.

The components can be a donor rifle [rem 700] have it rebarreled or a custom action that cost $750-$1200.As w/ anything the sky is the limit.
If you give a dollar figure what you want to spend you'll definately get some good combinations for a parts list.

Also having a bullet or at least a bullet type in mind will help w/ barrel twist and action length decisions.
A long action will work better if you want to shoot the long for caliber VLD type bullets like the bergers/amax/wildcats.

Myself i'd go w/a long action rem 700 squared up blueprinted, a hs precision stock ,
# 5 fluted broughton or rockcreek barrel w/ canted land rifling -1 - 8 twist will shoot the heavy high BC bullets.
Get all the parts teflon coated -since you're in a wet region.
Zeiss 4.5x 14-44.
Just an opinion good luck -Mike

Last edited:
Sendero

I have a Remington Sendero SFII chambered in .300 Winchester. This would be an excellent platform then? I could seat the bullets as far out as needed for the WSM. What about feed problems with the WSM case? I am wanting to shoot 130gr and up for bullet selection,probably Berger and Wildcats(made in Canada). I am thinking stainless fluted at 27", maybe 28". I was wondering if I could go with a smaller(just a little) contour in the HS precision stock as well, that way keeping the weight the same but longer tube. There will be a bit more gap as far as being floated, but should not matter. What about bedding as well with the aluminum bedding block? Thanks again guys!

Yuup that would make a good platform for the rifle you want.
I think the wsm's feed well in a long action.

You could go w/a 28" in a sendero contour no problem.

Also you could shed a good bit of weight with deep flutes cut into the barrel or a carbon wrapped barrel.
Do a search for carbon man + abs carbon wrap barrels =VERY trick set-up.
They take a barrel liner -i believe they're rockcreek barrels =5r rifling- then wrap carbon fiber around the liner [barrel] and make the barrel the same size as a normal barrel -although much less weight.
Goodgrouper did some infrared testing of the barrels and how well they shed heat -everything about them seems to be a good thing.Light ,good looking , accurate ,can somehow replace the barrel liner <-- i think..

I'm not sure what kind of weight you'd have w/a deep fluted or carbon wrapped barrel ,maybe flute the bolt also.

I have a rem 700 270win w/a hs precision stock -the stock appears to have a barrel channel for a magnum sporter barrel not a sendero/varmint barrel.
But the WAY BIG floated barrel look- looks good to me.

And yes the action will need bedded even though hs precision says it doesn't -all gunsmiths recommend bedding them and every other action.

I think a varmint/sendero hs precision stock is probably lighter than a sporterweght model b/c it just has more material hogged out of the barrel channel.
So a little blueprinting and bedding of the action and a deep fluted or carbon barrel -you're set.

To get more technical answers ask some of the gunsmith guys here like Kirby Allen , actually i think he built a 6.5 wsm for his wife in a bench type gun.
I'm sure you'll get more opinions on this tomorrow.

I did some research on some of the light titanium rifles that would feel better than a moderate weight rifle and many expierenced shooters told me they're great to carry but shooting long shots w/ them ==nope.Too shakey and more felt recoil etc. so i'm sticking w/ a traditional weight rifle .

I love the long barrel look and feel -a 27" barrel doesn't feel big to me i'm 6-2" so it's relative.

Well hope i didn't bore you -Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.