Calculating Free Bore on 6.5 WSM?

To get a ballpark idea of freebore I do something very simple. It doesn't accurately account for the length of the lead, but I normally just look at a SAAMI spec print to get that close. I go to Berger's bullet spec list. I find the bullet I intend to shoot, look at the bearing surface length. Then subtract the length of the neck from the bearing surface. Whatever is left over I add the lead length to and figure another 0.020-0.030" for Hornady bullets because their bearing surface is almost always a little longer. This is not scientific or perfect, but it gets you a good idea of how much Freebore you need.

I think .200" is a good choice. I recently had a reamer made for a 6.5mm Wildcat and that is exactly what I ordered for it.

Agree with all of what is here. .200" FB is a good starter and can always have a good smith throat it more if you don't want to do it yourself. Have no idea why someone would want a high powered 6.5 with freebore in the low .100"s as mentioned in some of the drawings found. Bet that bolt gets very sticky.

Agree with all of what is here. .200" FB is a good starter and can always have a good smith throat it more if you don't want to do it yourself. Have no idea why someone would want a high powered 6.5 with freebore in the low .100"s as mentioned in some of the drawings found. Bet that bolt gets very sticky.
Depends on how long your box is. Some of these new bullets are very long.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.