6.5 SS Build

I'm sure your brux will be a good barrel but the lack of service and communication was very unprofessional. They made my barrel in a very acceptable amount of time but then lost it and wouldn't make me another but chose to track it down so that took 3 more months! They would never call me. I had to always call and they acted annoyed with me. I'm the paying customer! They finally got the barrel to my smith and got my 270 ss built. I wrote them an email about my experience and not surprised I never got a response. I'll be going with a hart next time around.
I'll be watching for your build in the future.
I saw your comment before and I'd been meaning to ask what happened. Thanks for that info.
Having worked in customer service before, for a company that builds semi-custom guitars to order, I know how some of that crap happens. It shouldn't, but it does. Sorry to hear about the trouble. I hope mine goes smoothly.

I hope it goes smooth for you also. I had more problems with them than what I just wrote but thinking about it infuriates me all over again and I've tried to put it behind me. I was going to do a whole thread on it but decided I learned my lesson and just move on from their company.

I paid for the barrel yesterday.

Today I ordered a Defiance Deviant Hunter and put 50% down on that.
Medium length (same as 700 short action)
Standard tang, Defiance bolt handle with tear drop bolt knob, recessed bolt nose, and standard fluting.

Got a little bit of brass from Rich already. Enough to get me started.

Moving right along.

This is not my rifle:
graphite%20black%202_zps6qwreuug.jpg

But it looks very similar to what I'm going for.
That's the interrupted fluting I'm getting on my Brux barrel. Approximately the same size (mine is a #3 stainless and will be 24" long). Same graphite black Cerakote on barrel and action.

This is the action I just ordered:
deviant%20hunter_zps3mrmss4k.jpg

My stock will be a McMillan Remington Sporter. It has a straight comb:
McMillan%20Rem%20Sport_zpsfhw76otk.jpg

It will have marbled coloring like the first pic, but in different colors. Tan/olive/black like this:
tan%20marble_zpstu53ku0n.jpg

Or maybe tan/olive/dark brown

Leupold scope. I'm thinking mine will be a VX-6 3-18x44mm.
VX6_3_18X44_CDS_ZL_profile-530x452_zpsl0o48por.jpg

Last edited:
NICE! I will be looking forward to seeing all together and shooting. I have a Brux ordered for my light weight 270 SS carry rifle......Rich

I have never heard anything that wasn't good about the quality of Brux barrels. My concern would be the contour. I have had a couple of lengthy conversations with Krieger about their contour minimums. They have those minimums because that is what they believe is safe. I know some, maybe all, other barrel makers are not as strict with their minimums. Since I lack the education to make the choice on my own and my top priority is safety, I have chosen not to use a barrel that is smaller than what Krieger will make regardless of who makes it.

I have never heard anything that wasn't good about the quality of Brux barrels. My concern would be the contour. I have had a couple of lengthy conversations with Krieger about their contour minimums. They have those minimums because that is what they believe is safe. I know some, maybe all, other barrel makers are not as strict with their minimums. Since I lack the education to make the choice on my own and my top priority is safety, I have chosen not to use a barrel that is smaller than what Krieger will make regardless of who makes it.

Edd......What you are saying makes perfect sense, and I have been wondering the same thing? You probably ask "why then did you order a #3 fluted"?:D Well, I hope I don't regret it, but here is the reason. Brux flutes their barrels BEFORE they cut the rifling which is not the case for most, if not all, the other manufacturers. I really wanted the rifle to be lightweight but not sacrifice TOO much barrel stiffness. We will see how it comes out? I hope it is not an expensive lesson! I was going to go Proof Research but it would have weighed considerably more than the Brux, and then there was the cost!!........Rich

If you take 1" off the shank you will take 5 oz. on the barrel weight.
With the 6.5 ss or 270 ss it should not be a problem.

I paid for the barrel yesterday.

Today I ordered a Defiance Deviant Hunter and put 50% down on that.
Medium length (same as 700 short action)
Standard tang, Defiance bolt handle with tear drop bolt knob, recessed bolt nose, and standard fluting.

Got a little bit of brass from Rich already. Enough to get me started.

Moving right along.

Edd......What you are saying makes perfect sense, and I have been wondering the same thing? You probably ask "why then did you order a #3 fluted"?:D Well, I hope I don't regret it, but here is the reason. Brux flutes their barrels BEFORE they cut the rifling which is not the case for most, if not all, the other manufacturers. I really wanted the rifle to be lightweight but not sacrifice TOO much barrel stiffness. We will see how it comes out? I hope it is not an expensive lesson! I was going to go Proof Research but it would have weighed considerably more than the Brux, and then there was the cost!!........Rich

I'm a little lost.. are you both fluting #3's?

Either way, why would you save ounces (1-2)on the barrel weight when you could've saved almost pound on the stock? Doesn't make sense to me.

Fluting saves very little weight especially when you flute a pencil b/c there isn't enough meat to remove to begin with. It looks cool but that's about where it ends, functionally there are minimal advantages.

I really want to see these SS's take off. I think I want one for f-class :D Maybe in 6.8!

SWEET!!!
What bullets you planning on shooting?
Thanks.
At first I was thinking I wanted the 142 gr ABLR. I've seen mixed reviews on them though. I need to read some more of the many comments which have been posted about ABLR here and elsewhere. The 140 gr regular AB is still a possibility too. More recently I've been looking at the 143 gr ELD-X. Waiting for reports on how it actually performs on game. 140 gr VLD is another strong possibility. But somewhere in that range; 140+ grains and something with good BC and a good reputation for dropping what it hits. Probably take several of my top picks and just see which shoots better in my rifle once I get it all together.

Either way, why would you save ounces (1-2)on the barrel weight when you could've saved almost pound on the stock? Doesn't make sense to me.

Fluting saves very little weight especially when you flute a pencil b/c there isn't enough meat to remove to begin with. It looks cool but that's about where it ends, functionally there are minimal advantages.

I really want to see these SS's take off. I think I want one for f-class :D Maybe in 6.8!
I got the interrupted fluting mostly because I think it looks cool. I was a little concerned about it being too light. Wondered if I should have gone with a #4 fluted or a #3 non-fluted. But I think I'm going to like it like this.
#3 non-fluted was the original plan, but when I decided to go with Brux, and was looking at pics of them, I just liked this flute pattern.

I think the SS is taking off. Since I offered brass ready to fire, the interest has picked up considerably and the guys who have ordered it are pleased so far. Everyone who has built one now realizes that the stated performance is not a bunch of hype! I think if it comes out in a couple of popular hunting magazines, sometime this spring, it may take off even more. I think it would make an outstanding f-class rifle, by the way. When you run the numbers with b.c., velocity, and recoil, it is a combo that is pretty tough to beat!.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.