6.5 SS Build

mgood

Today I ordered a Brux #3 Stainless, 6.5mm, 8-twist, with the interrupted fluting.

Feel free to tell me that Brux sux and I made a horrible choice. Or to tell me that they're great and it's an outstanding choice.

Krieger wouldn't do a 6.5mm stainless barrel in anything smaller than a #4. I could live with a 4, but I was leaning towards a #3. Then I thought that if we fluted it, I'd get back near the weight of a #3. But Krieger said to flute a 6.5, it would have to be at least the #5 PLUS profile. This is for a rifle to walk around with all day. I can carry a heavier gun if I have to, but I'd rather not. If it just wears me out to lug it around, then I'm likely to grab a lighter rifle when I go out, and I want this to be my main hunting rifle. I was thinking "sporter." I could have gone with a chrome-moly barrel, but preferred stainless. Brux had no problem with it. And while looking at barrels, I sort of fell in love with the interrupted fluting they offer.

This is for a 6.5 Sherman Shortmag.
Plans include Defiance Deviant Hunter action and McMillan Remington Sporter stock.

EDIT 9/8/2018 - My rifle last night:

finish.jpg

Last edited:
You are going to like the BRUX barrel. Myself and a friend shoot a few of them. We both built 300WM on a #3 Brux last winter and were concerned how they would shoot with that light of a barrel. Both guns shoot incredible and just like our other Brux barrels dont copper foul and clean up very easy.

Sounds like an awesome build. The jury is still out for me and my brux barrel but it looks great. I will say that I will never buy another after the terrible customer service and fiasco I had getting my barrel.

Glad you are making the move! I have not shot a Brux personally, but have heard mostly positive on them. I think they are as close to a Krieger as anything. Cut rifled, 4 groove, etc. (or did you order a 6 groove)? By the way, I now have SS brass in stock:).......Rich

I am very happy with my 4 groove Krieger.....Rich
I was going to get the 5R from Krieger, on your recommendation. I don't know what the advantage is. I know what it is, the non-parallel sides to the grooves. I read about that. But I don't remember if I read what it's supposed to do for me.

Anyway, I wanted a #3 stainless and Krieger wouldn't do it.
Adding the flutes to the #3 stainless Brux may make it a little lighter than I really intended. I just got carried away hearing "yes, we can do that," after getting, "no. no. no."

Krieger, Bartlein, Shilen, Lilja, were the ones I was looking at first. Glanced at Douglas. It seems like there are lot of good ones that I didn't even get around to hunting up a website, Hart comes to mind. I don't know one from another. Most people will tell you whichever one they have is the best, so . . .
I started with Krieger. But I was also looking at pictures online and liked Brux's interrupted fluting. When Krieger didn't offer what I wanted, I called Brux next, knowing nothing about them except that I liked the looks. They said "yes," and I didn't even get to the rest of my list.

I was looking at 6 months for a Krieger barrel, 5-6 months for a Defiance action, 4-5 months for a McMillan stock. I figured the one that's going to take the longest is what I should order first. Plus, barrels are cheap compared to that action. Seeing as how I was told 2 months or a little over 2, I'm going to have a barrel her with nothing to put it on. But that's all right. The other parts will catch up eventually.

I haven't even looked at triggers yet. I hear Jewel mentioned quite a bit.

I'm thinking I'll put a Leupold VX-6 3-18x44mm on there. But if I have to wait a while to get that, I have a VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm I could rob off another gun and put on there temporarily. In fact, I have a VX-3 3.5-10x40mm that's never been mounted on a rifle, and I don't know when I'll use it. I could sell it to help finance this project. :cool:

I was going to get the 5R from Krieger, on your recommendation. I don't know what the advantage is. I know what it is, the non-parallel sides to the grooves. I read about that. But I don't remember if I read what it's supposed to do for me.

Anyway, I wanted a #3 stainless and Krieger wouldn't do it.
Adding the flutes to the #3 stainless Brux may make it a little lighter than I really intended. I just got carried away hearing "yes, we can do that," after getting, "no. no. no."

Krieger, Bartlein, Shilen, Lilja, were the ones I was looking at first. Glanced at Douglas. It seems like there are lot of good ones that I didn't even get around to hunting up a website, Hart comes to mind. I don't know one from another. Most people will tell you whichever one they have is the best, so . . .
I started with Krieger. But I was also looking at pictures online and liked Brux's interrupted fluting. When Krieger didn't offer what I wanted, I called Brux next, knowing nothing about them except that I liked the looks. They said "yes," and I didn't even get to the rest of my list.

I was looking at 6 months for a Krieger barrel, 5-6 months for a Defiance action, 4-5 months for a McMillan stock. I figured the one that's going to take the longest is what I should order first. Plus, barrels are cheap compared to that action. Seeing as how I was told 2 months or a little over 2, I'm going to have a barrel her with nothing to put it on. But that's all right. The other parts will catch up eventually.

I haven't even looked at triggers yet. I hear Jewel mentioned quite a bit.

I'm thinking I'll put a Leupold VX-6 3-18x44mm on there. But if I have to wait a while to get that, I have a VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm I could rob off another gun and put on there temporarily. In fact, I have a VX-3 3.5-10x40mm that's never been mounted on a rifle, and I don't know when I'll use it. I could sell it to help finance this project. :cool:

I don't think you will be disappointed in the Brux from what I have heard, and as I said, the 4 groove Krieger shoots every bit as well as my 5r and cleans just as easily. When I bought my 4 groove for my BAT action, I talked to a shooter from the Krieger factory. I asked him which was the best and he said they are equally good (factory answer):D so I asked him which he shot and he said "all of mine are 4 groove" SOLD!
My suggestion for one of the best scopes out there for the $$$$ is the Sightron SIII with the 2 moa reticle. I have 2 of them, one with a 6x24 and the other 8x32 and they are hard to beat. I compared it to my buddies Vortex at the same power and the Sightron was clearer and brighter at twilight. Compared to my 2 conquests, I would also give the edge to the sightron.
I have jewell triggers on 2 of my rifles and they are top notch......Rich

My suggestion for one of the best scopes out there for the $$$$ is the Sightron SIII. . . .
I agree about the Sightron. I used to work in a gun store where we sold Leupold and Sightron. For those with deeper pockets we sold Swarovski. If you needed to spend a little less, we had Tasco. I'm a Leupold fan, but I think the Sightron compares to them. Always figured I'd get one, but end up buying another Loopy. I shoot small-bore (22 LR) silhouette matches. (Haven't done it in a while. I guess you could say I used to shoot, or I sometimes shoot silhouette.) The Sightrons are popular with that crowd. I use a Leupold FX-3 25x on a CZ 452 Varmint for silhouette matches.

Just sighting in and snapped a pic (Yes, silhouette shooters use ridiculously high rings):
IMG_0187a.jpg

I was middle of the pack, then jumped up and won two matches in a row, not on the same day, and promptly dropped back down to middle of the pack. Still trying to figure out what I did right on those days.
IMG_0173a.jpg

Anyway, I have 5 Leupold scopes:
VX-3 6.5-20x40mm that normally lives atop my Kimber 22-250 but is currently hanging out on my Remington 8mm Rem Mag
VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm on a Kimber 25-06
VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20mm on a Wilson Combat AR in 6.8 SPC
FX-3 25x40mm (pictured above) on a CZ 22LR.
VX-3 3.5-10x40mm that has yet to find a home on a rifle (It would go on the 8 mag in a heartbeat, but it's silver and that rifle is blued. Would just look wrong.)
I'm not married to them or anything, but it would take some convincing to sell me another brand.

I'm sure your brux will be a good barrel but the lack of service and communication was very unprofessional. They made my barrel in a very acceptable amount of time but then lost it and wouldn't make me another but chose to track it down so that took 3 more months! They would never call me. I had to always call and they acted annoyed with me. I'm the paying customer! They finally got the barrel to my smith and got my 270 ss built. I wrote them an email about my experience and not surprised I never got a response. I'll be going with a hart next time around.
I'll be watching for your build in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.