270 SS Build

I'm planning to use the 126gr Hammers on all my big game hunting this year and figure I should be able to push them 3400+. I'm also considering the 117gr after hearing Steve give them nod for elk and Rich estimating 3500' in my 25" barrel. Load work up with them is supposedly simple and their performance on game is supposed to be wicked.
Those 140 Berger's will just be for rocks, chucks and squirrels.

Sounds like your on the right track. You will be better off using the hammers on big game for any situation. Looking forward to hearing the results. I'm going to try some of the 129 hammers in my 25 SST eventually.

They sure are tough! Mine took a 225 eldm right to the shoulder and made 20 yards or so from 590 yards... not to derail... I also agree with the 165 matrix for it. That is what I have loaded with my 270ss. Almost got to test them on aoudad.

The 300 SS was a good pick for Audad. But sounds like I would have opted for the lighter 270ss to, im sure the 165 would knock em down with some authority.

I'll see how the 25SST does on Audad or pigs tomorrow if I get a chance to go out.

Stability is supposed to be better (I haven't tested this powder personally) I have tested 26. Faster burn will work better with lighter bullets than 26 will I would guess. I was really pleased with the es on my load with 23.
My brother used his 270 wsm and 140 accubond on his aoudad at 200 and slammed with authority. He didnt move 2 steps. I also see nosler is bringing the 150 accubond back for 2019. Might be decent also.

I know I could do a search, but since you both have knowledge of 26, could you tell me where it becomes unstable? Hot or cold temps or both? How much better is 23 and what sort of velocity loss have you experienced?

I've found RL26 to be pretty good up to about 80 or so. You will lose about 50' give or take, when load d to equal pressure in most testing I've done. I did have a client with a long action 6.5 though that ran 23 up around 3300' with 140's which is pretty impressive.

Well it's getting closer! I got the trigger installed after a little inletting and can't believe how crisp this Timney is! The Limbsaver arrived in the mail today too, so that will be getting fitted in the next couple days. My bushing is supposed to arrive tomorrow and will give me just enough time to finish the rifle and prep brass and loads for fireforming this weekend! Also picked up a can of 23 from the shop down the street to play with once my brass is formed.

My local shop doesn't have the 140 Berger's, but does stock Hornady's 145 ELDXs. Berger claims a .271 g7 BC, but Hornady's website shows a .270 g7! Does anyone know accurate the Hornady BC claims are?
Could be another fun bullet to try out of my new rifle when going long. So many choices! =)

Last edited:
I thought this day would never arrive! The rifle is shootably completed. Still need to fit the recoil pad and decide on a specific length of pull. I went a bit long with it - 14 3/8'' - just to make sure it didn't end up too short. Based on feel, I'm guessing I'll be removing an inch of wood to be sure it sits where I'd like.
The Nikon M Tactical 3-12 looks great on top and the glass is the typical Monarch. I feel I got much value than the price tag would've suggested. I went with extra low Talley LW rings. With removal of the first 1.5'' of barrel shank, these rings are perfect! There is a downside though; the bolt will be unable to cycle with a eyecap on the ocular :/
I received my Redding bushing yesterday and was able to size and load 40 rounds. I loaded 20 rounds with 130gr Accubonds, 15 rounds with 150gr Ballistic Tips, 1 with a 130gr TTSX, and 4 with the 140gr MTH. All received 57gr of RL33. Should be a fun morning after I finish up my coffee.

edit: forgot pics

Attachments

• E987E23A-2763-4EAC-82C6-F49C967BDDD2.jpeg
    E987E23A-2763-4EAC-82C6-F49C967BDDD2.jpeg
    786.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 6F66F226-2789-4992-9CD6-685BCB5F5AAF.jpeg
    6F66F226-2789-4992-9CD6-685BCB5F5AAF.jpeg
    682.7 KB · Views: 195
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.