270 Build

Supposed to be sunny here the next 4 days, can't wait to go shooting tomorrow.
I've got 50 rounds loaded up with 115gr SMKs for zeroing and a little plinking and another 20 with the 117gr HH to shoot a ladder.
Sierras are sitting on 57gr of Accurate 4350 and loaded to 3.20"
Hammers are laddered from 58-60gr of 6.5 Staball and loaded to 3.38"
Should be a fun afternoon 🙌

Attachments

• 61B7DD50-C1C0-45B6-AD17-1879D1DCBA91.jpeg
    61B7DD50-C1C0-45B6-AD17-1879D1DCBA91.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 99
Great build! And when ammo comes back, 270W will return to its ever-available status I'm sure. 270W is a great cartridge. A while back I consolidate rifles and built one semi-custom rifle for hunting and after much research, decided on the 270. I don't reload, so that's one reason, but I am very happy with it.

Great build! And when ammo comes back, 270W will return to its ever-available status I'm sure. 270W is a great cartridge. A while back I consolidate rifles and built one semi-custom rifle for hunting and after much research, decided on the 270. I don't reload, so that's one reason, but I am very happy with it.
What did your semi custom start as?
No matter how far I stray and experiment, somehow I always seem to come back to the old and boringly reliable 270 Winchester.
Jack had it right. Short of the great bears, 270 is plenty capable on anything in North America.

Supposed to be sunny here the next 4 days, can't wait to go shooting tomorrow.
I've got 50 rounds loaded up with 115gr SMKs for zeroing and a little plinking and another 20 with the 117gr HH to shoot a ladder.
Sierras are sitting on 57gr of Accurate 4350 and loaded to 3.20"
Hammers are laddered from 58-60gr of 6.5 Staball and loaded to 3.38"
Should be a fun afternoon 🙌
Anxious to hear how your Stabal ladder goes. I could not find any so I worked up the 117HH with Super Performance. There is a little stabal around now so I may have to pick some up.

Anxious to hear how your Stabal ladder goes. I could not find any so I worked up the 117HH with Super Performance. There is a little stabal around now so I may have to pick some up.
Will post update tomorrow. After reading through another thread about Peterson Brass, I'm wondering if I too out lower than expected. Definitely bringing the chronograph out to stay safe.

Quite a while back I had Cooper put together a Model 52 in 270 Weatherby Mag. Quickly and easily developed a load for it and it shot great and took some game. I always shot heavy for caliber bullets so this rifle had a bit of recoil and muzzle blast was unpleasant for the shooters right and left of me at the range. When that first shortage happened just before Obama's election one of those guys at the range pointed out the numbers in a Lyman reloading manual that my 270 weatherby mag offered about 5% better performance than a 270win. Belted magnum cases got scarce and were expensive anyway. The magnum took more powder per round. I was seeing 270win components around so I sent the rifle back to Cooper and had it converted to 270win. Never regretted that decision even a little bit. Back then mono bullets were new kids on the block. I don't have a fast enough twist rate to shoot them. If I do my part I can make 1 moa at 200yds with nosler partitions and AB's. Swift scirocco's shoot great from it as well. It's accounted for 28 out of 29 one shot kills from 125yds out to 650yds. I couldn't ask for anything more. I agree, the 270win is the Rodney Dangerfield of calibers, it gets no respect.

Last edited:
The ONLY thing BETTER than, a .270 Win. IS,.. the. 270 WSM,..
Love that, short lil', Fattie with, the 35* shoulder outta, a 7.5 Pound Tikka @ 3,175 FPS with, 140 Bergers and it's,.. a 1/2 MOA "Shooter" !
WITHOUT horrible Recoil and Brakes are NOT, necessary !
Had a .270 Wby, before, this WSM ( It was, "good", too ! ) The WSM is, slightly MORE, "Accurate", tho !
ALL, the .270's,.. ARE,.. GOOD ! And,.. you can FIND, Ammo & Bullets for, them !

Last edited:
Quite a while back I had Cooper put together a Model 56 in 270 Weatherby Mag. Quickly and easily developed a load for it and it shot great and took some game. I always shot heavy for caliber bullets so this rifle had a bit of recoil and muzzle blast was unpleasant for the shooters right and left of me at the range. When that first shortage happened just before Obama's election one of those guys at the range pointed out the numbers in a Lyman reloading manual that my 270 weatherby mag offered about 5% better performance than a 270win. Belted magnum cases got scarce and were expensive anyway. The magnum took more powder per round. I was seeing 270win components around so I sent the rifle back to Cooper and had it converted to 270win. Never regretted that decision even a little bit. Back then mono bullets were new kids on the block. I don't have a fast enough twist rate to shoot them. If I do my part I can make 1 moa at 200yds with nosler partitions and AB's. Swift scirocco's shoot great from it as well. It's accounted for 28 out of 29 one shot kills from 125yds out to 650yds. I couldn't ask for anything more. I agree, the 270win is the Rodney Dangerfield of calibers, it gets no respect.
The 117gr HHs will stabilize in standard 10" twist barrels. I've heard they'll stomp even elk size game but have no personal experience and likely won't this season. Hopefully I get them to shoot and have an opportunity on bear or deer in the coming weeks 🤞
The Hammers are also the most accurate and easy bullets I've ever loaded for. I've yet to own a rifle that won't post excellent groups with them. They're expensive at a buck a piece, but they perform exactly as promised in my experience. I'd highly recommend giving them a try in your Cooper.

The 117gr HHs will stabilize in standard 10" twist barrels. I've heard they'll stomp even elk size game but have no personal experience and likely won't this season. Hopefully I get them to shoot and have an opportunity on bear or deer in the coming weeks 🤞
I like shooting heavy for caliber bullets, so I shoot 150's in my 270win.

The ONLY thing BETTER than, a .270 Win. IS,.. the. 270 WSM,..
Love that, short lil', Fattie with, the 35* shoulder outta, a 7.5 Pound Tikka @ 3,175 FPS with, 140 Bergers and it's,.. a 1/2 MOA "Shooter" !
WITHOUT horrible Recoil and Brakes are NOT, necessary !
Had a .270 Wby, before, this WSM ( It was, "good", too ! ) The WSM is, slightly MORE, "Accurate", tho !
ALL, the .270's,.. ARE,.. GOOD ! And,.. you can FIND, Ammo & Bullets for, them !
Well put Idaho Lefty, well put!