270 SS Build

I don't know if I should begin a new thread for this or not so I'll just post it here...
While zeroing my new Nikon scope with this rifle, I discovered I can't drop my crosshairs more than 3'' high at 100 yards because my turrets bottom out! :/ No big deal I guess, but that basically will require me to zero at 300 yards and give me 85 MOAs of elevation. lol I will never shoot far enough to take advantage of this adjustability but am curious if anyone else has ever experienced this with their scope.

I don't know if I should begin a new thread for this or not so I'll just post it here...
While zeroing my new Nikon scope with this rifle, I discovered I can't drop my crosshairs more than 3'' high at 100 yards because my turrets bottom out! :/ No big deal I guess, but that basically will require me to zero at 300 yards and give me 85 MOAs of elevation. lol I will never shoot far enough to take advantage of this adjustability but am curious if anyone else has ever experienced this with their scope.
How much of an MOA rail do you have on it?

What mounts do you have on it?

I bought Talley LW extra lows with specially drilled 8-40 screw holes. I'm not really worried about it, just curious if anyone else had experienced this before.
*edit*

If you don't want the Zee rings, you can always shim and bed what you have. I've done that too.
I have shimmed this way as well on an old 98 mauser that had been sporterized by a garage gun smith and no generic bases would work.

I have had what you explained before, it is usually caused by one of a few things....

Poorly manufactured bases/rings

Poorly installed barrel

Poorly drilled base screw holes

Front/rear of action wjere bases mount are not within spec

I had a rem 700 that the front and rear screw holes were offset, and during boresighting ran out of windage adjustment trying to zero. This also means that there is some bad stress going on with any standard type rings, and being applied to your scope tube. I used burris signature zee rings and was able to shim to zero, and it also took out the stress by self centering.

Personally, enough of an offset in rings to not be able to zero a scope with 85 MOA of adjustment would be a major cause for concern, that is around 40+ inches off from center at only 100 yards. either there is an offset from your front and rear rings (caused by either an out of spec action or out of spec rings), which would cause a large amount of stress on the scope tube, or the barrel was not installed square to the bore axis. Judging from the look of that fine rifle, I would lean more towards rings or action base mount area not being in spec rather than the barrel installation. Would not be out of the question for a remington action. Just my thoughts

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.