270 win build

Here the journey so far and will try to keep it updated as the build...gets built I reckon. The first isn't my gun but you get the jiff of it. ( I bought a truck for $250 and traded for this gun. The second is the stock and Zeiss that is on it right now. I did paint the factory stock at one time which basically looked like a medalist sporter I guess.

Attachments

• DSC03907.jpg
    DSC03907.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20140104_164012.jpg
    IMG_20140104_164012.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for the replies. Which barrel makers can do a 1-8 twist preferably in 5r. I would like to make some calls and get this ball rollin. I have gotten a little antsy about this, but I guess that's why its so addictive. And to everyone that has been patient with me on this Thank You.!! Its been stressful for me and made me pretty nervous. But I feel a lot better with y'all sharing your experiences and opinions. As soon as this is finished I would love to post a 600-700 whitetail for you guys. Heck with the help y'all have given me ( and I'm sure there will be plenty more too come) I should send ya some meat.

My next build will be with a Bartlein 5R blank, or a Rock Creek 5R blank...Whichever is available at the time.

You really can't go wring with any of the major manufacturers. Everyone has their favorites, but I think accuracy has more to do with who builds it and how good of a job they do, and how well you match your components for your build, than the brand on the barrel.

Just my thoughts, but alot of these guys have alot more experience than I do with using many different brands of barrels.

Which barrel makers can do a 1-8 twist preferably in 5r.

Most barrel manufacturers make mostly standard bore groove/twist dimensions (esp in 5R) in .277 caliber. Some manufacturers might offer special groove diameters, # of grooves, and twist rates not listed for an additional cost and delivery time (i.e. http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Services-c1246-wp3391.htm). It probably changed now but when I was doing my research 2 years ago, I was down to ...

Lilja - 1:8, 3-groove

Pacnor - 1:8, 5-groove (not sure if this is the same or close to 5R).

After consulting with my gunsmith (Dave Young) and Dan Lilja, I settled with a 30" 1:8" 3-groove Lilja barrel and am very pleased thus far.

We all have varying personal experiences here to share but it boils down to your personal preference.

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
I went with 1-9. I have a couple months to think about it if I want to change it to 1-8. It bothered me to go 1-8 but it bothered me to go 1-9. I did go 30" finished put the extra on the shank. Did I make the right choice.

I went with 1-9. I have a couple months to think about it if I want to change it to 1-8. It bothered me to go 1-8 but it bothered me to go 1-9. I did go 30" finished put the extra on the shank. Did I make the right choice.

Sounds like it's gonna be a screamer with the heavies. Good luck with the build. Waiting sucks! I have the world's worst patience. LOL

Screaming is usually a good thing. I hope it works. The twist is bothering me because I would like to be able to 120-130s as well but would sacrifice that to stack the heavies in a minute. Still going the Ackley version. I can shoot straight wins hunting short ranges and playing no problem I'm sure.

I have my patient moments, I want to post pics of progress and antlered victims but can't. I spend 10 months out of the year on the road so waiting is part of daily life.

We can only advise but you have the ultimate decision. I went with 1:8 for my .270 AI with the intent of primarily using 165 and 175 Matrix VLDs but I also have loads for 150 NBTs and Berger VLDs.

9 twist 5R is good. There is a thread about my buld somewhere on this site.

Been pushing the 165s to 2850 with 59.5 grains of Retumbo. It works really well. Been to 1400 yards and this rifle iis one wicked shooter

Called Bartlein back today and had my order changed to 1-8 twist. I was thinking about fluting but decided against it.

Flute it and cut it back to 26-28"...I don't believe the 270 Win or AI version have enough case capacity to warrant a 30" barrel. The 270 WSM I'm having done right now will end up around 25"... gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.