6.5 PRC vs 6.5-284

What's the barrel life going to be like on a 6.5x284? If I had one it would be for hunting and shooting steel, no matches.
I've had 2 barrels on my long action and still on the first one on my short action. Roughly 1400-2000 rounds depending on how much you push the envelope of performance. I always liked running them pretty fast so I'm on the bottom side of those numbers.

As a loaded cartridge or rifle chambering ? The 280AI is pretty popular. I think they offer it in loaded ammo also. The 6.5 of course is also popular obviously. Always wondered why Winchester never loaded a 6.5 WSM. I suppose with the 270 and 7 WSM, there wasn't a big need.
Both the cartridge and the rifle, they offer both in the 280AI.
It would be very easy for them for that reason.

Both the cartridge and the rifle, they offer both in the 280AI.
It would be very easy for them for that reason.
Yep I agree. I've always said that about the 22-250 AI. Lapua should make the brass since they do it in the standard cartridge. Having a 22-250 AI rather than a 22 Creedmoor, i think it's about time for some factory Ackley brass.

Looking at Hodgdon data shows the 6.5 PRC to have a >100fps advantage over the 6.5-284. To me that is significant. Gives you about 100y more capability for hunting.

Seems the choice for these twocomes down to thebolt face if you are using a donor action. If buying an action the PRC looks to be the superior performer.

Looking at Hodgdon data shows the 6.5 PRC to have a >100fps advantage over the 6.5-284. To me that is significant. Gives you about 100y more capability for hunting.

Seems the choice for these twocomes down to thebolt face if you are using a donor action. If buying an action the PRC looks to be the superior performer.

Steve, as an owner of the 6.5-284 Norma, I know for a fact that the load books are extremely low for the max in this cartridge, which is due to the fact that it was a wildcat for a long time and some of those wildcat rifles are still out there. It's the liability and lawyer side of things in this case. The PRC and Norma are like the 7 STW and 28 Nosler.........twin brothers from another mother!!

Don't rely on theory or published data. We load both and the PRC MAY have a slight edge if pumped tight with powder but no where near 100 fps. Maybe 25-50 max and again thats loaded hot. As said earlier, I ran mine next to the PRC my buddy just built and no noticable difference. Accuracy wise hard to say yet on our guns.

The Hogdon data is absolutely understated to the reflect short action, Non-Norma spec charge weights. There no material difference between the two.

Ok so if both are going to have the same ballistics, then is there going to be one that is cheaper to shoot over time? (brass life and barrel life)
If the PRC catches on like the Creed, then it will probably be cheaper in the long run. We'll have to wait and see. Since Norma standardized the 6.5-284, they will always make brass for it, plus Lapua and Nosler make very nice brass, too.

Ok so if both are going to have the same ballistics, then is there going to be one that is cheaper to shoot over time? (brass life and barrel life)
Wish I could say. To us, the PRC is new. Someone may chime in on barrel life or brass life. I use lapua brass in my 6.5-284. It's real tough to beat the life of lapua brass. To my knowledge only Hornady makes PRC brass. Hornady isn't my favorite brass. I'd personally stick with the 6.5-284 unless you only have a mag boltface to build on. Barrel life will be close also on both chambering.

I'm having the same debate (plus the 7WSM) right now. Anyone running a short action savage with a -284 having feeding or mag problems?