6.5/284 vs. 6.5/-06

45 years ago, the 6.5x300 wby. with the 139 gr. norma b.t. bullet was king of the hill for long range pa. deer hunting. today, they practibly dont exist. certainly practice is a very important item. 5 deer with 5 shots is a feat to be proud of.
as for wind, give me the name of the item that will give speed way over there. even 1/3 way over there.
its very common for experienced 1000 target shooters to shoot a small group followed by a large group. or even miss the target completly during gusty conditions.
those conditions can also cause a miss, or a poorly placed shot for many of us while hunting. waiting for better conditions usually isnt an option.
i personaly think more energy is better than less, especially from cartridges that equal or surpass in velocity.
finally, i think its important to share our opinions, but more importantly our experiences, both good and bad.

Last edited:
finally, i think its important to share our opinions, but more importantly our experiences, both good and bad.

exactly....my date seems to match the article quite close...

as far a the case i use...lapua cases.... and I don't expect to get 10 reloads like lots of people do ...I'd be lucky to get three......on fourth case gets a little sticky....Im comfortable with passing up a shot I know I cant make.........

thats unheard volocity out of your 6.5x55,somethings gonna blow.
thats about what im getting with long barrel 264.

my bad......looked up my 6.5x55 range data book.....

123gr scenar moly coated..........3195ps out of a 28" barrel....the cases do get molested, i only get two to three reloads if I'm lucky.....139gr scenar moly coated 2950fps but does not hold the grouping in my set up.....

sorry...my bad...it is 123gr and 8 MOA @ 1000 yard wind drift....all drift measurements in MOA not inches.....sorry

I know the 139gr should do all things better then the 123gr on paper.....but my setup for whatever reason seems to be a tack driver at all ranges I tested...

Have a .308 setup for long range previous to this one.....to this day cant get a decent shooting load out of it....I have something like 1000 spare projectiles left over from load development....

In my case the 6.5x55 will do just about anything a 6.5-284 or a 6.5-06 will do.....most important is repeatability....and enough scope adjustment.....then comes practice, practice, practice..... I guess I belong to the 25% of the shooters out there, I'm a big advocate of KISS, and my belief is the 223, 243, 6.5x55, 270, 308, 30-06, 300Win Mag and the 338 win Mag will do anything u ask of them...providing you do your homework.....going to all these willdcats...and new cartridges seems a waste of resources and time...could spend more time developing shooting skills and dropping animals...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts