6.5 PRC vs 6.5-284

What does Ruger have to do with it?
Wrong company, I guess I was still stuck on the CM.

GAP is I believe the company that already had their team shooting the PRC early on with great success and was already producing customs in pretty large numbers for the round before most of the public was even aware of it.

Gaps customer base is largest in the long range tactical shooting crowd and they had a pile of succes searly on and it spread like a WF which was what they were all counting on.

I just got my custom 6.5-284 norma. I was stuck between the two when I had to select a caliber. My smith was not liking the idea of a prc at the time because it was brand new. The only problem I have with the prc is that it does not fit into some short actions. I don't think you can go wrong with lapua brass either. Of course I am biased, but one of my friends is having a prc built by the same smith that made my gun. Lately he has been turning 270 and 300 wsm into the prc. I do not feel the prc is any better than the 6.5-284 considering proper hand loading of course. I am willing to help with anyone that has any questions about the 6.5-284 norma.

They are essentially the same cartridge as far as performance goes period dot! It's math, their is no discernible difference in the two.
It comes down to configuration of ammo and rifle chambers, if you load and/or have any control over your chamber config pick your poison and enjoy. For me it was a decision based entirely on Hornady Factory match ammo, I have had such good luck with the Creed ammo in MULTIPLE rifle/chambers I decided to try the PRC and the ammo and have NOT been disappointed. I now have another cartridge that is half MOA capable to 1,000 with ZERO load work up! Saves me ammo, barrels and money. I have plenty of other cartridges to load and tinker with.

A buddy just built a 6.5 PRC and at the same time I was re barreling my 6.5-284 as the second set back on my current barrel expired. He went with the same barrel I have been using ( Broughton) for his build so our guns we're done about the same time. Both using the same barrels, length, bullets and powders, wound up pretty much identical in performance thru the chrono. ES/SD were better in the 6.5-284 but very little load development had been done at the time. This was after break in (150 rds ). I'd stick with the 6.5- 284 simply due to having thousands of pieces of brass. I wanted the PRC to out perform my 6.5-284 so I had a decent reason to make a change to that chamber but just wasn't the case. His rifle is very accurate and pleasant to shoot as well. I'll eventually jump into the PRC but for now, I'm good.

How can it be? Same-same different bolt face.

Unless you are talking about the original .284 in which you can shoot 180 grain bullets. Then definitely more with the .284.

For those of us who have std. boltface actions laying around, (I have a couple of long action M700's) I would like to see Nosler introduce and promote the 6.5-280AI, would be easy for them, I could build one anyway but a factory chambering would be nice.

For those of us who have std. boltface actions laying around, (I have a couple of long action M700's) I would like to see Nosler introduce and promote the 6.5-280AI, would be easy for them, I could build one anyway but a factory chambering would be nice.
As a loaded cartridge or rifle chambering ? The 280AI is pretty popular. I think they offer it in loaded ammo also. The 6.5 of course is also popular obviously. Always wondered why Winchester never loaded a 6.5 WSM. I suppose with the 270 and 7 WSM, there wasn't a big need.

Recent Posts