6.5 gibbs

milcol

What is the average life of the 6.5 gibbs formed from win.270 case,I have read somewhere of the neck splits and primer hole problems after 2 firings.

A 6.5 gibbs isn't any different than any other cartridge ,you can expand the primer pockets of a 30-30 if you try to run it too hot.
The split neck thing probably comes from the fireforming procedure b/c a gibbs moves the shoulder out further than an ackley improved.Maybe the person had too hot a fireforming load?

Ridgerunner -a member here- is the only one w/a 6.5 gibbs that i know of -it shoots to-.
Maybe he'll see this and give you more info. if'n you need it.
Have a good one.-Mike

This is not true. No problems with the Gibbs. The brass will last the same as any other cartridge. I own Gibbs in every caliber from 240 to 358 except the 8mm. With the 270 brass you must trim it down to '06 length. You can neck up 25-06 brass. The Gibbs line are exceptional cartridges equaling their magnum counterparts with less powder, noise and recoil. In other words the 264 gibbs will shoot right with the 264 win mag.

My current barrel I am getting 5 -7 firings. My last barrel I was getting almost twice that. Couldn't tell you why the difference.
Shoots great though.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.