30 Gibbs

Lovetahunt

Greetings,

I just picked up a custom 1903 Springfield chambered in 30 Gibbs.

I am a bit of an 1903 nut and have several ranging from 30-06, 25-06, 30-06 Ackley, 270 and even a 22-250. This Gibbs just complements the collection.

I need any info on fire forming brass, alternative dies (30 Gibbs dies are expensive) and anything else one might find useful about loading this round.

I am no stranger to the loading bench but figure there is no sense in recreating the wheel when someone out there is sure to have good information.

A 2 die set is $145.00 and new brass is $41.00 per 20. I am not afraid to spend the cash but am not a fan of spending it when there are less expensive alternatives.

This should prove to be a fun open country rifle for hunting the Dakotas and am eager to see how the rifle prints a target.

Any info will be appreciated.

I use 35 Whelen brass. Neck it down a little at a time until the bolt closes with a little resistant to create a false shoulder. I like the false shoulder method better than jamming a bullet into the lands. I fireformed with pistol powder and cream of wheat.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.