.270 Gibbs

Nape.270

1. Q#1. I want to know where to get some dies for a .270Gibbs based on the .270Win case length if you can?
  2. Q#2. I want to know how you are fire forming the brass expanding it up to say .30 cal or 7mm and then running it thrugh a full length .270 gibbs die?

Nape.270,

The dies for the .270 Gibbs can be ordered from RCBS, Redding, or Hornady, but they are strictly a custom offering, meaning that they are not stocked and have to be made on a order only basis.

I know that the die makers are behind due to the increased demand that they are experiencing right now (12-16 weeks). I would contact Lonnie Hummel at Hornady, his E-mail is [email protected] or call him at 1-800-338-3220 ext. 208

They will need 3 fired cases or a chamber reamer print to make the dies. They use EDM machineing and make the dies to fit the chamber of your rifle. If you haven't built the rifle yet, Pacific tool and gauge can send you a reamer print if they have it on file that Hornady can use to make the dies while the rifle is being made.

I'm not sure about RCBS or Redding but they may have the die reamers already on hand.

You are right about having to size up the brass to fire form a Gibbs. The Gibbs has a sharp shoulder an shorter neck than a "Ackley Improved" case with the shoulder being pushed forward. The resizing of the neck (running it through the Gibbs die), after having been "necked up" creates a false shoulder that the case can head space off of. You then Load this case seating the bullet into the lands. Using a mild Powder charge (a couple of grains off of max of a .270 Win load) you fire form to fit the chamber. You may have to do this twice if the cases don't fully blow out, but that's not usually the case. It's a similar method to forming the JDJ cases.

Hope this help
Dan

Thanks for the help.

I was wondering what kinda of velocity the 130gr and 150gr bullets are going out at. I read in the P.O. Ackley Volume II that the 130gr go 3400fps and the 150gr's are 3200fps not sure what length barrel. mine will probaly finish at 28 inche's.

Nape,

Looking at the Ackley Improved numbers there is a substantial increase in velocity and case capacity increase. The Gibbs version has even more case capacity increase. While I don't have the exact numbers, Quick Load can esitmate what the velocity increase would be.

Alot would depend on sutable powder choices. H4831SC, IMR7828SC, H1000, RL22, and H4350 are all good powders to start with. H4831 and RL-22 are excellent in the parent case, so they would be a good place to start. Highest velocitys should be with RL-22.

I think a 28" bbl would serve this round nicely to get a high rate of burn with a slower powder.

Cool,

I don't have that book, I was looking as data that I've been able to round up on the Ackley version. Still those are very excellent velocitys for the Gibbs version. 3400fps for a 130g bullet is smoking! and 3200fps for a 150g bullet is excellent. I'm interested to see what you can squeeze out of the Gibbs. It should be quite a shooter.

Dan

Ps. Reloader's nest has some data for the .270 Gibbs, here is the link:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=328

Last edited:
Hello every one. I have always fondness for wildcat cartridges. I guess I just like to shoot a cartridge that you cant buy at wall mart. 20 years ago I found a deal on a 30 Gibbs. Nice gun but I could never get it to shoot at the valossity that loading data listed.
A few yeas ago I found a set of 270 Gibbs dies in a sporting good store for $5.00 then bought a reamer. After getting my gibbs shooting I found that it will live up to the loading data. The 270 Gibbs will take a 150 gr bullet above 3,000 F.P.S. with safe chamber pressures. I would recomend the 270 Gibbs to any one looking for a gun with a slight edge over the 270 Winchester.

Bob

I have a 340 Gibbs. I make brass out of 35 Whelen. You should do fine to make your brass from 280 Rem. or 30-06. Adjust your die so that it necks down your brass just far enough to create a false shoulder. There should be a bit of resistance when you close the bolt on your rifle. Some then take a bullet and load it long into the lands and fireform with a light load. I've loaded mine with 20 gr. of Red dot and filled the rest of the case with cream of wheat, with some white glue on top to keep it all from spilling out. This has worked well for me, but the odd case doesn't fill out the way it should. You CANNOT simply fire a 270 Win in your chamber like in an Ackley improved version. There just isn't anything to headspace off of.

I ordered my dies from RCBS. They were expensive and it took awhile to get them. Good luck, Eric

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.