6.5 creedmoor vs. 243 for distance

TCFELK2

trying to decide between the 2 for 90 % bench shooting yp to a 1,000 yds. ruger 77 mark ll 6.5 creedmoor 28 in heavy barrel 1 in 8 twist varmit /bench 10 lbs. or a savage 12 target 243 28 in barrel 1 in 8 twist 12 lbs with a weaver 36x40t 1/8 dot for my scope...thanks for the guidance gun)

Like the 6.5. Ruger barrels have improved recently, but I would still prefer the Savage barrel. Also a few more 6mm pills to choose from. Good luck

thanks for the response...the 6.5 seems more likley with the wider range of bullets...woodley is making a 160 gr that i could use for antelope and mule deer at a distance

Both would be great if your only target shooting. If you plan on hunting then id go 6.5. I . Personally prefer the 6.5 just for the wider range of high B.C bullets. As for the rifle why not a savage Lrp? Ive heard really good stuff about it. Ive owned a Ruger in the 6.5 creed and it wasnt exactly what i was looknig for. I now own a savage model 12 in 22-250 that Im building a 6.5 creed on. This rifle is stupid accurate. With the junk factory stock i was sub-.25 moa at 100 yards. I threw on a H-S Precision M24 and the groups got even tighter. Savages may not be the prettiest rifle out there nor the best feeling but dang do the shoot.

To the op,Im not trying to skyjack this thread. But creedmoorshooter brings up an option I did not consider until I read this.Thanks guys. 6.5 vs 243 ? I was trying to sell my savage 243 lrp to fund a creedmoor . Now that I pulled it off the market (I really do like my 243 lrp).As to my question for creedmoorshooter. I also have a savage model 12 bvss in 22-250(that also shoots very well).Would you explain what your doing to get your 250 into a 6.5 creed please? Either here or by pm. Thanks Gary

Like the 6.5. Ruger barrels have improved recently, but I would still prefer the Savage barrel. Also a few more 6mm pills to choose from. Good luck

Ruger hasn't made a M77 MKII in a long time...

TCFELK2, are you referring to new production rifles, or custom built rifles?

Personally I'd go with a .260 AI.

To the op,Im not trying to skyjack this thread. But creedmoorshooter brings up an option I did not consider until I read this.Thanks guys. 6.5 vs 243 ? I was trying to sell my savage 243 lrp to fund a creedmoor . Now that I pulled it off the market (I really do like my 243 lrp).As to my question for creedmoorshooter. I also have a savage model 12 bvss in 22-250(that also shoots very well).Would you explain what your doing to get your 250 into a 6.5 creed please? Either here or by pm. Thanks Gary

Not trying to hy-jack the thread, my apologies to the OP. My 22-250 started out as the cheap model 12 fv from cabelas for 419 bucks. With a 100 dollar rebate i only paid 319 for a rifle bone stock shoots sub-.25. I wish my phone would let me upload the photos of some groups ive shot with it. I put on a H-S Precision M24 stock and also bought a bottom metal and mag to convert it from a blind mag. When funds are available im ordering a Criterion barrel in the 6.5 creed. Then im just buying my tools i need to change my barrel. As much as i hate to take the barrel off a gun that shoots that good i just dont have much use for a 22-250

Buy one of the Savage's in either caliber. I like both but prefer the .243. I load for mine with H1000 which will and does extend barrel life. Also, there is always the option of purchasing the tools and the other barrel to swap back and forth which is very easy to learn to do.

trying to decide between the 2 for 90 % bench shooting yp to a 1,000 yds. ruger 77 mark ll 6.5 creedmoor 28 in heavy barrel 1 in 8 twist varmit /bench 10 lbs. or a savage 12 target 243 28 in barrel 1 in 8 twist 12 lbs with a weaver 36x40t 1/8 dot for my scope...thanks for the guidance gun)

I wouldn't take a Ruger if you gave it to me honestly. Never heard or seen anyone having much luck with one. That Savage will shoot circles around that Ruger. Shoot a stout load of H1000 or 7828 in the .243 with a 105-107 and that will make for a deadly combo. When the .243 barrel goes south, or you get tired of it, drop a 6.5 Creed or 6.5x47 Lapua barrel into it.

Ruger hasn't made a M77 MKII in a long time...

TCFELK2, are you referring to new production rifles, or custom built rifles?

Personally I'd go with a .260 AI.

Perhaps OP meant the Hawkeye Varmint Target in 6.5 Creed/w the 28" barrel? I like the Savage LRP in 6.5 or .243 which has a 26" barrel well worth the +$100 over the Ruger if a factory rifle is desired.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take a Ruger if you gave it to me honestly. Never heard or seen anyone having much luck with one. That Savage will shoot circles around that Ruger. Shoot a stout load of H1000 or 7828 in the .243 with a 105-107 and that will make for a deadly combo. When the .243 barrel goes south, or you get tired of it, drop a 6.5 Creed or 6.5x47 Lapua barrel into it.

I've got some old Ruger M77 MKII rifles that were built in the very early 90's. With handloads, they are VERY accurate. Sadly, I can't say I've seen the same quality out of the newer Hawkeye and Ruger American models, and I will agree with you that you couldn't give me a newer Ruger rifle, other than a 10/22.

THE ACTUAL TYPE IS RUGER KAWKEYE VARMIT / TARGET RIFLE THEY STILL REFER TO THAT RIFLE AS A RUGER 77 MARK II AT RUGER CUSTOMER SERVICE...GO FIGURE gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.