6.5x284 vs 6.5 creedmoor

I wonder if you can enlighten me further - I found your above info quite interesting - what does it mean the muzzle brake on the LRH is "adjustable"? I have had muzzle brakes that have gas ports all the way around, and they kick up more dust than I like....... Is the break interchangeable?
terjeness

The brake is sleeved with a knured ring so it can be turned on or off. It's not adjustable other than that. The entire unit is screwed onto the end of the barrel and could be removed leaving exposed threads on the end of the barrel.

The brake is sleeved with a knured ring so it can be turned on or off. It's not adjustable other than that. The entire unit is screwed onto the end of the barrel and could be removed leaving exposed threads on the end of the barrel.

Thank you, Greyfox, for your very prompt and helpful reply. It is very helpful to be able to access experienced shooters like yourself; learn from your experience, instead of having to 're-invent the wheel'.
May I inquire further: are you happy with the brake? I suppose the ability to "turn on or off", might be to reduce the noise, as I can't see it make much difference to get more velocity out of the powder? I wonder if by taking it off, I could possibly replace it with a brake with baffles only on the side? Yet who make such brakes with thread that fits?

Would you bother share some insights with me again?

terjeness

You can turn the brake off by twisting a sleeve that's on it its not really adjustable more like on or off.

Sorry replied to soon this is already covered ;-)

Thank you, Greyfox, for your very prompt and helpful reply. It is very helpful to be able to access experienced shooters like yourself; learn from your experience, instead of having to 're-invent the wheel'.
May I inquire further: are you happy with the brake? I suppose the ability to "turn on or off", might be to reduce the noise, as I can't see it make much difference to get more velocity out of the powder? I wonder if by taking it off, I could possibly replace it with a brake with baffles only on the side? Yet who make such brakes with thread that fits?

Would you bother share some insights with me again?

terjeness

I personally don't care for the design of the muzzle brake on the LRH but having shot the rifle with and without it turned on, it does work at reducing the felt recoil with feels like a 243, maybe lighter. I did not see a velocity, or accuracy difference when used in either position. The instructions state that you should not oil the brake because it will freeze up. It freezes up under any circumstances after several shots and requires brake cleaner to loosen it up. After going through this a couple of times I have just left it in the on position for the last year and said the heck with it. I don't know the barrel thread size since it's on pretty tight and I had no reason to take it off. I expect a replacement could be either made, or perhaps a commercially available one found. The 6.5x284 really does not create the dust that the larger calibers do when shooting prone so it's not an issue for me. My 338 Lapua is a different story, it needs side ports! Because I'm so pleased with overall performance of the rifle, I feel brake on the rifle while not the best, is not a big deal, it does the job, and I can easily live with it. This rifle is my workhorse long range rifle and it serves the purpose well. If I were to seek perfection, I would install a screw on brake, with barrel cap for easy cleaning, and while the stock fits me perfectly and has no bedding issues(after a little fore end touch up to relieve a pressure point), I would replace the rubber coated plastic stock with a tactical style from one of the quality stock suppliers. I really like the tactical stock on my Savage 111FCP HS 338 Lapua with the Kardsten adjustable cheek piece I installed. It is set up identically to the height that is set on the LRH.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.