6.5 creedmoor or .243 build?

More I think about it even though the 6.5 PRC is the best hunting caliber mentioned, maybe I should avoid the PRC and just use the 300win whenever I'd use the PRC. I'm already confident in my 300. May as well have a caliber on the smaller side that better compliments the 300win.

6.5 Creedmoor. With 100gr TTSX, to 124 hammers, they all out perform the .243. There's really no down side except the ridicule you'll get from a sea of people who love to hate the cartridge but can't give a reason.
The recoil is very mild with my 124 hammer load and send it at just shy 3000fps.
The upside is if you get a load for the 143-147 gr Hornady, you can bang stuff way out there too. That can't be done well with the 243. Slow twist and not enough room for the long pills unless you make a new barrel and chamber.

Good luck with it.
I'd have to disagree way to many records set with 6mm pills to say it can be done. A 115dtac bullet has some very impressive long range capabilities

At snox,.. Yup and MOST of those, 1,000 yard, 6 MM Records, were set with, David Tubb's designed, 6 XC Cartridge and, the 115's.
The .243 Win., is a very OLD Design (1955 ) and NOW there are better Designs, that will also GIVE you, BETTER Barrel Life than, the .243 W. !
I wish the Major Manufacturers would Chamber their Rifles for, the Better, 6 MM SLR and 6 XC, Cart. designs.
The Longer Necks, and 30* shoulders, KEEP the Powders, "Turbulence" Point ( HOT, Flash Point ) further back IN, the Case for LESS, Throat Erosion.
But the Old, "Work Horse", .243 Win. HAS, a "Following" and still, sells !

Last edited:
I think you can't go wrong with either. My main hunting rifle is a 6.5 creed for the very reasons you mentioned.
But if you are building from the ground up do a 1/7 twist .243 and be able to shoot 100gr hammers and lighter along with any other high bc for paper.
One advantage to the creedmore is less loss of FPS per barrel length with the larger bore.

At snox,.. Yup and MOST of those, 1,000 yard, 6 MM Records, were set with, David Tubb's designed, 6 XC Cartridge and, the 115's.
The .243 Win., is a very OLD Design (1955 ) and NOW there are better Designs, that will also GIVE you, BETTER Barrel Life than, the .243 W. !
I wish the Major Manufacturers would Chamber their Rifles for, the Better, 6 MM SLR and 6 XC, Cart. designs.
The Longer Necks, and 30* shoulders, KEEP the Powders, "Turbulence" Point ( HOT, Flash Point ) further back IN, the Case for LESS, Throat Erosion.
Well also no one is setting records with off the shelf creedmore or ammo.
So that point is moot if talking straight bullet and round capabilities than the 6mm don't give up much. Lots of benefits to the old design of the .243. Feeding smoothly is one of them. I'm a creedmore fan but you stated that the 6.5 will hit targets way out that a 6mm can't. That's simply not true. Plus with his stated max distance already either round will far exceed his current skills more than likely.

I do agree with you premise but the 6mm is more than capable.
Heck I shoot the 123gr hammers out of my creed as my main go to rig. Well above 3100fps with a 22" tube.

More I think about it, the more I like the idea of the PRC shooting hammers or 156s with a 1:7.5 twist… gonna shoot my buddy's creedmoor and prc back to back and get a feel for them
I think your first thought was ideal. You can take game out to 600 with a creed or .243 and still be carrying enough FPS to make the bullet do it's job. Then if you needed more you already have the perfect rig. The 300 win.

snox,..
NOT a Fan of, Mono's in the LIGHTER Bullet Weight's, of, Smaller Bores ( Personally ) as they tend to, LOSE "Horse Power", AKA Shed Velocity, way out there ( Past, 450- 500 Yards ) and don't Penetrate well, Heard, a couple of "Horror stories" on longer Range ( 450- 470 yds ) on Coues Deer,..
"Walking" away !
NOT sure I said, "Hitting them" IF, I did,.. I meant,.. "Killing them" ! Term WAS,.. "Reach Out".
The Bigger Bullets, in 6.5, of, 130- 143 Grain will, Smack Em',.. Harder ( Penetrate BETTER ) AKA,.. "Reach Out" !
Caliber Choice, IS, a "Personal matter" ! I HAD, a .243 Win.,.. I NOW HAVE, a 6.5 Creed as,.. I "believe", it Kills, a little, Better !
I think 6mm creed is the front runner for everything you guys mentioned. Really not much wrong with it and sure seems like a fun shooting caliber.
LOL,.. THAT,.. "Settles" it !
Try, your New, 6 Creed with, a 1-7.5 Twist Barrel and, the 108 Grain, Elite Hunter, Berger's for, Big Game !
The 1-7.5 TW, will shoot most, Berger or, Sierra, Bullets from, 80 to 110 grains,.. very, WELL !

Last edited:
I'm looking into having a rifle built to compliment my 300wm. I really love my 300wm and dropped my furthest buck at 550 yards last year with 181gr hammer hunters. So I think I want something on the smaller side that compliments the 300wm. I was thinking either the 6.5 creedmoor or .243 but can't really make up my mind. I want this rifle to have little recoil and good performance on anything up to deer sized game. Having had great results with the hammer hunters in my 300wm, I was thinking about having either the 6.5 or .243 also loaded with hammers.
If you guys were building a deer hunting rifle and going to shoot hammer bullets, would you go 6.5 creedmoor or .243?
6.5 creed. 243 if you get custom barrel with 1/8 twist. Would still prefer the 6.5 creed though. I'm a Hugh 6.5 fan but don't own the creed, I have the 6.5x47L, 6.5saum, and 6.5 grendel. The ballistics on the x47L is so similar to the creed I just never bought one.

I'm leaning towards the 243/6creed. After running a few ballistics calculators, the 6mm does very well when loaded with the heavy bullets in a barrel with the right twist. All while having even less recoil than the 6.5. The 6.5 creedmoor is a great round, but something pulls me towards the 6mm calibers.