6.5 creedmoor to 6.5 grendel

If it were me, since you already have an action and stock, I'd have a 6 BR with a 24"-26" 8 twist barrel put on it. You could shoot just about any weight bullet up to a 108 that you'd like. It's economical to shoot powder wise, low in the recoil department especially with a good recoil pad, it will handle varmints to deer. And to top it off, it will probably be the most accurate rifle you own. Plus you could always switch back to the other barrel at any moment you desire.

The Howa mini's accuracy has impressed me. Virtually no recoil and a short rifle...easy to handle. I also have a Grendel AR that is just plain fun to shoot. Only downfall is finding brass and effective lighter bullets My last 100 rounds came from 7.62x39's. BUT, they shoot great! I think your grands would enjoy a Grendel.

I've been reading about the Howa and lots of bad reviews on the mags. That has been y'all's experience? Any other mags that work?
I have piles of brass, bullets, and powder for the grendel so not too worried about that. I do want to stay in a caliber I have due to the fact that it's so hard to find stuff right now

Brownells has a 20" heavy barreled action that I could put in a chassis and make it pretty adjustable for the kids. Any experience with that set up?

Guys,
Thanks for all the replies and advice. The original design was intended for the child to be able to carry his own rifle in the woods, that's why it was built so light and short. I have loaded down the rifle to near start loads with 100 and 120 grain bullets.

I have read and reread all the advice, and I'm very appreciative. I have thought about it for a while now and I think the best alternative is to put the creed back in the closet and buy a grendel until they can handle the other.
I would suggest you consider a CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel. Mine was simply fantastic and would be perfect for a minor child

Yeah, I have tried the light loads.
When you say "start loads" and "light loads" are you referring to the "beginning" loads in a certain manual that end up at max or near max vel loads with slower powders? Or, are you referring to actual "reduced loads" using faster powders for greatly reduced velocity?

You can load most any cartridge WAY down using appropriate powders and techniques. Here's just "one" example with Trail Boss:

1643927496028.png

1643928165284.png

As you can see, you can load the 6.5CM FAR below the 6.5 Grendel and have much lower recoil, but still have a rifle a kid can grow into full power loads.

Also, you can use Accurate 5744 and SR 4759 and a host of varied pistol powders using Lyman's cast bullet manuals.

Last edited:
I never tried h4895, didn't have any on hand. I have tried varget, 8208, and h4350. Tried from start loads and found several accuracy nodes as I traveled up the scale.
I do have some trail boss, I'll look into that.

Ruger American ranch rife in 300 blk, or 7.72x39.
Handy and cheap. Shoots about a MOA and is a step in from a .223. Easier to find ammo than a Grendel.
I do like the Grendel, actually love it in an AR, but this gun is a turn-key, best value, for what you seek.

Unless I'm missing something here a 6.5 Creedmore with 90 too 100 gr bullets loaded down ,with a good muzzle brake shouldn't have, hardly any recoil. I would change brakes and go back too the loading bench with a lighter bullet . Your way over thinking this, give it a chance best of luck

Hey guys, got a gunsmithing question for all of you. I built my kids a rifle this summer. Bartlein carbon barrel on a 700 action. I had it chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. It is short, finished right at 17" barrel. The kids are having a hard time handling the recoil. I normally shoot suppressed but I've even tried a brake but didn't seem to solve the problem.
So my question is, can I take a 6.5 creedmoor and convert it to a 6.5 grendel? I realize the bolt faces are a little different, could that be solved with a extractor? It seems to feed ok from AI mags, am I missing something there? Would the entire chamber area have to be removed? It would make the barrel short, but I could pin weld for a can if I need to.
Thanks in advance,
Matt
You may consider using H4895. In the Hodgdon manual, if they list a loading for their H4895 powder, Hodgdon says you can reduce the max loading to 60% of max. This would allow you to reduce muzzle energy considerably, while allowing you to keep your present equipment. I've done this for the .243 Winchester and the 25-06. Accuracy will suffer very little. Good luck.

Either way, if you wanted to keep that gun and change it you'd have to get quite a bit of work done. It'd be more expensive than buying an inexpensive new(or even new-ish) rifle and going from there. Something like a Grendel in a bolt-gun would be nice, even a 6ARC. A 22-250 would be a decent option too, if you went that route you could just do a barrel swap and be on your way, keeping the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for later.

It's for game and target.
I am a reloader. I will look into those calibers, thanks.
Lots of options now that I've decided to move away from this project. Anyone have experience with 22 creed? Could I use same brass and powders or is it a completely different animal? Or would I be better served going into a 6mm of some sort?
I have a 22 creed that my 6 year old son started shooting this year. 52gr Hammer Hunter going 4000fps and used the 6mm apa lil bastard. It's loud but recoil to me is not much different than his 22lr cricket. He didn't get a shot at a deer this year but he took out some pumpkins with it and had a great time. That 52gr bullet zipping along made quite a mess of those little pumpkins, lol.

I have a 22 creed that my 6 year old son started shooting this year. 52gr Hammer Hunter going 4000fps and used the 6mm apa lil bastard. It's loud but recoil to me is not much different than his 22lr cricket. He didn't get a shot at a deer this year but he took out some pumpkins with it and had a great time. That 52gr bullet zipping along made quite a mess of those little pumpkins, lol.
If your set on changing cal or cartridges send it too Douglas barrels and have them change it too a 6 mm Creed with a fast twist and you can shoot light or up too 100 gr plus with even less recoil turn around time 2 too 3 weeks ,around 500 .00 bucks