6.5 creedmoor to 6.5 grendel

Matt Tatum

Hey guys, got a gunsmithing question for all of you. I built my kids a rifle this summer. Bartlein carbon barrel on a 700 action. I had it chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. It is short, finished right at 17" barrel. The kids are having a hard time handling the recoil. I normally shoot suppressed but I've even tried a brake but didn't seem to solve the problem.
So my question is, can I take a 6.5 creedmoor and convert it to a 6.5 grendel? I realize the bolt faces are a little different, could that be solved with a extractor? It seems to feed ok from AI mags, am I missing something there? Would the entire chamber area have to be removed? It would make the barrel short, but I could pin weld for a can if I need to.
Thanks in advance,
Matt

That's what I kinda figured but was just hoping I guess.

If I were to sell off the creed there would be no real need to get back into a 6.5. How much recoil advantage would it be if I went into a 6mm of some sort or even one of the fast 22's?

the Grendel was designed to be used in an AR. I would just get an AR in a 6.5 Grendel. I know AA had a sale going on. All my AA's have been some amazing tack drivers! all below a .50" MOA. I have several 6.5 Grendel's. I never saved any money building them on my own, just buy a completed upper and save the time and hassle.

You might want to look at this post if you're want light recoil in a 6mm.

Pretty much just a barrel swap. Just need to make sure you don't mix 6x45 with the 223/556.

Might not be exactly what you're looking for depending on your distance requirements but if you're thinking about the AR route I've one in 6.8 SPC that I've been hunting with for years that's been really effective 200 yards and in and it's a dream to shoot recoil wise. Not much more than a standard .223. Been using 100gr Hornady GMX's in it and I haven't had anything go further than about 50 yards. Just a thought.

So i
Do a lot with getting kids into the field.
I never use the .223. I've killed a lot with that round but from experience it's not on the same level. A lost animal will also negatively affect how the kids think about hunting.
A lot depends on distance.
If they are gonna be hunting 250 and in a .300blk with a 110gr or under is very light recoil and effective.
If shot are gonna be longer the 6x45 is a fantastic round. I've built mine off a 204 just had the barrel swapped. If you do a savage axis .223 the barrel and swap is cheap.
Next up and one I've just recently started to recommend is the 6.5 grendel.
In these calibers you must remember that bullet weight does effect recoil. I try to stay in the 100gr bullets for that round also as the case capacity is only so much so you get much better performance and less recoil with 100gr.
6x45 the 80-95gr bullet is also great but if pushed to the same speed as the Grendel the recoil is the same. 90gr bullet going close to 3k creates about the same recoil no matter the case pushing it.
So yes the 6x45 is great it may be cheaper to purchase a howa mini in 6.5 grendel and have them shoot that. Paper and steel 100gr eld
Game 99gr hammer hunter.

I agree with the 6x45 and 300 blk comments. I have both in auto's. Was trying to start them in a bolt and make use of what I had. I have another creed that steel so when they are big/strong enough to handle it, I'll swap them over to that. Sounds like I may need to scrap that project and move into something dedicated to a caliber they can handle for now. How do the Howa rifles shoot? Bolt action 6x45 or even the 6tcu is just a barrel swap from a 223 rifle?
Thanks for all the info so far. It's appreciated.