6.5 creedmoor to 6.5 grendel

Hey guys, got a gunsmithing question for all of you. I built my kids a rifle this summer. Bartlein carbon barrel on a 700 action. I had it chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. It is short, finished right at 17" barrel. The kids are having a hard time handling the recoil. I normally shoot suppressed but I've even tried a brake but didn't seem to solve the problem.
So my question is, can I take a 6.5 creedmoor and convert it to a 6.5 grendel? I realize the bolt faces are a little different, could that be solved with a extractor? It seems to feed ok from AI mags, am I missing something there? Would the entire chamber area have to be removed? It would make the barrel short, but I could pin weld for a can if I need to.
Thanks in advance,
Matt
Is this for target or game? I started my 10 YO grandson hunting with a .223 AR. With the stock shortened and low recoil he liked it. One shot kill on his first deer. Using 55 or 67 gr soft points they are deadly with a heart shot. This year he used a 243 Remington 700 in a youth stock. He shot a deer and coyote with it and loves it. .223 is hard to beat but if you want a little more I would go 6.5 Grendel. Check out recoil tables.

As pointed out earlier A good brake shouldn't be a problem, I retired over 10 years ago so I'm not familiar with what's popular today, but changing a brake is a little more affordable than a change of just about anything else, I made my owns breaks and angled the ports forward, I set my nephew up with a 260 Remington with a 18.5 inch barrel the break got your attention if shooting over the hood but other than that it was more like shooting a 22-250, before it was a 260 I had fitted a 6MM BR barrel, that he terrorized a good deal of the Idaho country side with that little 6MM, he took 3 mule deer and 2 whitetails before being upgraded, you mentioned shooting 100 gr Barnes and Nosler so you must be a reloader, you might look into the 6.5 BR you can keep the same bolt you have and you won't need to invest in bullets you may not have on hand, my nephews rifle was a Remington model 7, it uses the same magazine box as a 700, I had a little trouble getting it to feed the BR case, however I found that by placing the spacer in the front of the mag box rather than the rear the feeding problem was eliminated,

It's for game and target.
I am a reloader. I will look into those calibers, thanks.
Lots of options now that I've decided to move away from this project. Anyone have experience with 22 creed? Could I use same brass and powders or is it a completely different animal? Or would I be better served going into a 6mm of some sort?

Don't turn your nose up at an AR. My hog gun has a 6.8 3R ARP barrel. Shoots great, and recoil is about like a 22 mag rimfire. Take the night scope off and add a 1-8 and it becomes my grandson's deer rifle. The AR is so adaptable it may be the ultimate kids gun.
The adjustable stock on the ar makes it a great kid gun. 300 blk, 6.8,6.5 grendel all work well.

I ran a apa but it think it was more sound and percussion that got him with the break. He's a young guy and likes to go with me, I may be pushing him too hard. I guess I got excited and wanted him to jump into it. I could force him to use it, but I think it may turn him off in the long run, not to mention develop bad habits to correct later. We spent all spring and summer in the 22lr competitions and he really seemed to enjoy it. Taking things slow is really not my strong suit, but I may need to pump the brakes. Haha
You are correct. Don't force him and I think you are on the right track get him the least recoil possible. I always brake them but have noticed sometimes it's the sounds that gets to kids also.

Ruger American bolt action in 6.5 Grendel that I have is a tack driver. It comes with a 10 round mag but I run it with a 5 round mag in the field. Shoots 100-123 grain bullets in the same hole. I've got some Hammers in the 85 grain range I plan on loading for it but just haven't had the time to do so yet. It's a great little round. I bought mine for $400 new in the box.
I also own 2 in the AR platform and one has a 24" barrel that's a blast to shoot. I've shot numerous Javelina with it. I built all my uppers exactly to how I wanted them. Simple process assuming you have the basic tools for a AR.

Last edited:
Yes, either in an AR or bolt gun. Going from 223 to 6x45 is just a barrel swap. 6x45 is just 223 necked up to a 6mm bullet.

6x45 is a great solution, I converted a 223 bolt gun for my daughter. There were limited options to get a shorter stock, so for my younger son I built a 6.5 Grendel AR pistol. He's fine with the recoil, but with the short barrel the muzzle blast is not insignificant so my caught won't shoot it. I've got a suppressor in jail to a a address that.

I built a couple 6 Creedmoord for my boys and they love them. I picked up some Remington CP's and had Hawk Hill make me some barrels throated for 90 grain bullets and they shoot sub .5" with factory ammo.

Hey guys, got a gunsmithing question for all of you. I built my kids a rifle this summer. Bartlein carbon barrel on a 700 action. I had it chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. It is short, finished right at 17" barrel. The kids are having a hard time handling the recoil. I normally shoot suppressed but I've even tried a brake but didn't seem to solve the problem.
So my question is, can I take a 6.5 creedmoor and convert it to a 6.5 grendel? I realize the bolt faces are a little different, could that be solved with a extractor? It seems to feed ok from AI mags, am I missing something there? Would the entire chamber area have to be removed? It would make the barrel short, but I could pin weld for a can if I need to.
Thanks in advance,
Matt
Cuz you would be spending way too much mo ey Sell and start over or keep it f I r yourself and build a whole new 6.5Grendel.
Good luck

I'm going to say if you have it financially, bench the CM until the yunguns can stand the kick,, and pick up the Howa 1500 mini, I picked one up a week before deer season...(it wasn't my fault, they had them by the register at Grice's)
For a shade over 5 bills, or better on sale you get a gun with almost 0 recoil, and shoots VERY well, right on par w/ my CZ527. Since CZ discontinued the 527 I haven't seen one available anywhere.
I shot a doe w/ the howa suppressed at >100yds with great results this yr.

You get new gun, kids can enjoy shooting....sounds like a Win/Win to me!

Attachments

• 20211202_160644.jpg
    20211202_160644.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
Last edited: