6.5 creedmoor to 6.5 grendel

Don't turn your nose up at an AR. My hog gun has a 6.8 3R ARP barrel. Shoots great, and recoil is about like a 22 mag rimfire. Take the night scope off and add a 1-8 and it becomes my grandson's deer rifle. The AR is so adaptable it may be the ultimate kids gun.

I agree with the 6x45 and 300 blk comments. I have both in auto's. Was trying to start them in a bolt and make use of what I had. I have another creed that steel so when they are big/strong enough to handle it, I'll swap them over to that. Sounds like I may need to scrap that project and move into something dedicated to a caliber they can handle for now. How do the Howa rifles shoot? Bolt action 6x45 or even the 6tcu is just a barrel swap from a 223 rifle?
Thanks for all the info so far. It's appreciated.
In my opinion the Howa is one of the most over looked factory rifles as far as accuracy I have played with several and all ended up being great shooters

i'm planning to let my kids start out with a .223/5.56 when they get into centerfire's. have you looked into that? ammo is still high for it but it's easy to find (here in NC at least) i also have a grendel but it's an AR. i have an adjustable block on it and the recoil is pretty smooth. i dont think they'll have an issue with it. my oldest is 5 though and he's shot a .17 and .177 pellet gun.

I have looked into the 5.56 rifle. I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to abandon this project so that leaves the door wide open. Main reason for the question was trying to see if I could salvage the existing project. I may go the Howa route or rebarrel a bolt action 223 into 6 tcu. Kinda been wanting to try that project anyway, haha

what break have you tried on it? a 6.5 creed should only have around 12lbs of felt recoil with a 138gr bullet. id imagine throwing a terminator brake on it should cut its way down to around .556 recoil or lower

I ran a apa but it think it was more sound and percussion that got him with the break. He's a young guy and likes to go with me, I may be pushing him too hard. I guess I got excited and wanted him to jump into it. I could force him to use it, but I think it may turn him off in the long run, not to mention develop bad habits to correct later. We spent all spring and summer in the 22lr competitions and he really seemed to enjoy it. Taking things slow is really not my strong suit, but I may need to pump the brakes. Haha

hmm i dunno double up on hearing protection maybe? plugs and ear muffs? a proper brake shouldn't have the percussion coming back at the shooter. i mean i run a 20" 300wsm with a side port brake and have never noticed any percussion but the guy sitting beside me sure does lmao

Lots of options to help with recoil. If you can own a silencer the recoil and blast reduction help new shooters a lot. You may be able to add weight to the rifle. If it takes an AICS magazine, buy a 10 rounder, remove the spring and fill it with lead. I did this with an AICS 5 round PMAG and it added over a pound. Last option, if you hand load buy yourself a can of trail boss. 140g bullets at 1,300 FPS will be extremely mild.

Otherwise, get them a 22 and just wait a few years for them to grow into the 6.5.

Recent Posts