6.5 creedmoor to 6.5 grendel

Unless I'm missing something here a 6.5 Creedmore with 90 too 100 gr bullets loaded down ,with a good muzzle brake shouldn't have, hardly any recoil. I would change brakes and go back too the loading bench with a lighter bullet . Your way over thinking this, give it a chance best of luck
A kid rifle, is not a man rifle with a loaded down load. It is a rifle, a kid can feel to be able to handle, carry, clean, and finally shoot without feeling to be inadequate. Otherwise, you might buy to your 6/8 y.old son a nice 26" XL mountain bike, but mount on it smaller wheels… they are kids, and it ti beautiful

That is why I really like the encore platform. You can start them off with a lighter caliber and graduate up as they get older. Unfortunately frames are getting costly and only available on the secondary market since S&W dropped the TC brand. Barrels on the other hand are easy to come by from a number of custom barrel makers.

Before you spend the money to get a different rifle . Order so 95 gr .264 cal bullets from hammer or makers. Load them over a load of blue dot at about 2100 fps that will bring recoil down to the level of the Grendel. You should get positive expansion to about 150 yards. You can pick up a 6.5 Grendel bolt for about 600.00 avoid the Ruger get the cz. A gas gun will kick softer but cost 2 to 3 times. With a adjustable gas block and jp captured spring system it will recoil like a 22 mag

That is why I really like the encore platform. You can start them off with a lighter caliber and graduate up as they get older. Unfortunately frames are getting costly and only available on the secondary market since S&W dropped the TC brand. Barrels on the other hand are easy to come by from a number of custom barrel makers.
I sometimes wish I never would've sold my encore. So many great options to be had. It did end up costing about the same for a barrel as a cheaper repeater though. $350 or so for a nice factory type barrel. Then add the optics and you're looking at a quick $1k at least. Now I just like having a bunch of different rifles, it seems more fun that way.

Hey guys, got a gunsmithing question for all of you. I built my kids a rifle this summer. Bartlein carbon barrel on a 700 action. I had it chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. It is short, finished right at 17" barrel. The kids are having a hard time handling the recoil. I normally shoot suppressed but I've even tried a brake but didn't seem to solve the problem.
So my question is, can I take a 6.5 creedmoor and convert it to a 6.5 grendel? I realize the bolt faces are a little different, could that be solved with a extractor? It seems to feed ok from AI mags, am I missing something there? Would the entire chamber area have to be removed? It would make the barrel short, but I could pin weld for a can if I need to.
Thanks in advance,
Matt
Load it down with lightweight bullets and recoil will not be a factor.

As they grow you can move back up to full power heavier loads.

the Grendel was designed to be used in an AR. I would just get an AR in a 6.5 Grendel. I know AA had a sale going on. All my AA's have been some amazing tack drivers! all below a .50" MOA. I have several 6.5 Grendel's. I never saved any money building them on my own, just buy a completed upper and save the time and hassle.
+1 on completed uppers, but…. there's so much fun involved in building!! Just had to say my $0.02. Carry on.

That 6.5 Grendel is s great round for young or recoil sensitive shooters. There isn't even a need to upgrade once they get older. I'm 57 and I hunt with the Grendel in situations where shots are 300 yds and closer. Itsva pleasant round to shoot and short of a couple specialty bench rounds , as accurate as the best out there. Its very easy to build an AR upper in that round . I've built several . You can buy a quality upper , but I enjoy the build myself. In a bolt gun, just grab a 700 action in 223 and have the bolt face opened up , and get a good Smith to spin up a remage barrel for it in Grendel. Easy peasy !
The Grendel is a great training round for long range shooting too. Very capable of 1000 yd accuracy on paper or steel . I dont like to shoot whitetail sized game past 300 yds though. From an energy level standpoint, with the right bullet/powder combo, its capable of 400 yd medium sized killing power. I just like to hedge my bets ;)

2 cents. Get'em a 223/5.56, buy the cheapest ammo you can find and let them shoot until their eyes bleed. Teach them how to kill effectively with it. Put the 6.5 creed in the safe and when they get bigger pull it out.

Hey guys, got a gunsmithing question for all of you. I built my kids a rifle this summer. Bartlein carbon barrel on a 700 action. I had it chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. It is short, finished right at 17" barrel. The kids are having a hard time handling the recoil. I normally shoot suppressed but I've even tried a brake but didn't seem to solve the problem.
So my question is, can I take a 6.5 creedmoor and convert it to a 6.5 grendel? I realize the bolt faces are a little different, could that be solved with a extractor? It seems to feed ok from AI mags, am I missing something there? Would the entire chamber area have to be removed? It would make the barrel short, but I could pin weld for a can if I need to.
Thanks in advance,
Matt
You'd need a new barrel and bolt.

Brownells has a 20" heavy barreled action that I could put in a chassis and make it pretty adjustable for the kids. Any experience with that set up?
Excellent set up for a youth. I just bought one. Many on this forum are schooling me on loads and experience with theirs. Howa mini 6.5 Grendel. Winner, Winner, Chicken dinner