6.5-284 loads with available powders

KS Shooter2021

I'm having a custom 6.5-284 Norma match rifle built - 28" Krieger heavy varmint barrel w 7 twist. LB gen 3 brake. Also a long action Rem with a Wyatt box mag, so COL not an issue.

I need some initial loading recommendations with Lapua brass and Federal GM 210 Match primers.

I have these bullets:

139 Lupa Scenar
140 Berger hybrids
142 SMK
150 SMK
153.5 Berger hybrid

Powder I have:
H4350
H4831sc
Varget

Powder I can likely get

Reloader
Vihtavuori

Powders I cannot get. I want to shoot this rifle, not leave it in the safe.

H1000 or Retumbo

I welcome any and all recommendations for bullet/powder combinations but please indicate if you are using a published load or one you personally worked up. Looking for target accuracy at 1000Y . I belong to a range that goes to 1300, and in the future may go to a mile.

Thanks for everyone making this the best shooting forum on the net (IMO)

Have a 6.5-284 Norma I'm working up a load for as well. Tried H4831sc and struggled to get to the sweet spot. My buddy on here, Bill, loves this cartridge and got me hooked. I'm heading down the road with RL 23 and Berger 140 VLD Hunters.

Thanks guys. Lucky I picked up 8lbs of H4350 from Scheels.

CPG Were the 140 Berger's the Hybrid or the Long Range version?

I will probably experiment a little with the 153.5's Hybrids. My buddy has some, but I'll need to find some starting load data.

There is a lot of powders to get you started, my first go to is rl26 for this cartridge. I have used it a lot in my three rifles chambered in this cartridge. H4831sc is very good and seems to be the go to for bench shooters. I also have done testing with VVn565 and was very happy with the results. The sweet spot with lapua brass is between 2950-3100.

S&B primers, from what I understand, do really well also (can't get my hands on any yet). Really love this round for both hunting and target.

50.5 gr 4831SC with 28" Criterian barrel. Hovers right at 3000 FPS. Shoots in the 2's with 140 VLD. The Sierra 142 is a close second.

H4831sc is exceptionally accurate, but it produces lower velocity then the slow burners like Retumbo/R26, but your longer barrel should get you in the 2950-3000FPS range with 140 class bullets. R26 is also a good powder that should greater higher velocities with good accuracy and low SD's. Both can be run with Fed 210/Match primers.

RL26 can pressure spike around 85 degrees and above. I found this true in this cartridge, but didn't have issues in other cartridges. RL23 is temp stable and still generates excellent velocity. But, H4831 is probably one of the most temp stable powders out there, so keep that in mind. Honestly, this cartridge has plenty of power for longer distances, and a 50-100 fps increase in velocity won't make much difference. I shot my RL23 load with 140 VLD's last year in a long range class out to 1070 yards. It was 102 degrees and no issues with pressure due to the temp increase.

I'm having a custom 6.5-284 Norma match rifle built - 28" Krieger heavy varmint barrel w 7 twist. LB gen 3 brake. Also a long action Rem with a Wyatt box mag, so COL not an issue.

I need some initial loading recommendations with Lapua brass and Federal GM 210 Match primers.

I have these bullets:

139 Lupa Scenar
140 Berger hybrids
142 SMK
150 SMK
153.5 Berger hybrid

Powder I have:
H4350
H4831sc
Varget

Powder I can likely get

Reloader
Vihtavuori

Powders I cannot get. I want to shoot this rifle, not leave it in the safe.

H1000 or Retumbo

I welcome any and all recommendations for bullet/powder combinations but please indicate if you are using a published load or one you personally worked up. Looking for target accuracy at 1000Y . I belong to a range that goes to 1300, and in the future may go to a mile.

Thanks for everyone making this the best shooting forum on the net (IMO)

My cousin and I both used the same load in our 6.5-284 1k benchrest rifles. 48.5 gr H4350 with Lapua brass, Fed Gold Medal Match primers, 140 gr Bergers. We were running 3000-3050 if I recall correctly. We had tight necks so we had to turn our case necks. My best groups at Williamsport 1k was 6.8". Gun was better than I was no doubt. Hart accurized Remington 700 with a Hart 28" stainless barrel. As always work up to this load with caution. Your gun may not like this load.

RL 26 and VV 565 are probably the top performers velocity wise but since this is a match gun, I would also recommend RL 23. It is exceptionally temp stable, I've seen almost no change from 25* to 95*, and burns a little cooler than 26 or 565. It should provide very good case fill at max pressure with any of the 140 to 150 class bullets. My experience with it is in a 6.5x55 improved with 62 grains case capicity. In my 25" barrel, I get 2890 with 49.8 grs behind a 150 SMK and maxed out at 50.6 for 2930. This would be a good starting load in the 68 gr capacity 6.5-284. It should be relatively easy to find but I haven't looked lately.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.