Pet loads for 6.5-284?

engineer40

Hey Guys...

Seems like the loads that most people are talking about around the Interwebs for the 6.5-284 are all hotter than what the Hodgdon manual/Hodgdon website states. And the 6.5-284 cartridge is not listed in my 49th Lyman manual.

Specifically the Hodgdon website states 46gr is the max load of H4350 with 142gr bullets. Almost everyone online is posting their accurate load is between 47 - 48grs.

I have quite a few different powder options on hand. From the powders I do have, seems like most guys are using either H4350 or H4831 with the 140gr - 142gr bullets.

Would anybody like to share their loads for the 140+gr bullets?

Or any clarification from other manuals on the 6.5-284?

Thanks! Really appreciated! :)

Lots of data here from guys talking about loads. Another is retumbo. I have 2 6.5x284 I'm going to load for and I've been following the posts closely. Guys post but as always start about 10% lower on your start and work up. The books are ALWAYA on the low end.

140 Sierra game king
51.5g H4831sc
Lapua brass
Fed GM210M

My load for the eld-x still needs to be proven by more shooting hope to get that done this weekend but as of right now.

143 eld-x
56-56.5g Retumbo
Lapua brass
CCI Br-2
.033 jump
Velocity was 2966 at 56.5 grains

26 Brux 8.5 twist barrel

I'm using 50gr Reloader 22, Lapua brass, Fed210m primer and 140berger VLD's. 30" barrel at 3012 FPS. H4350 works very well also. I tried H4831sc but the groups started to open up above 2850fps.

My longrange 6.5x284 shoots 140 Berger VLDs, 48.5gr H4350, CCI 200s with a COL of 3.165. My hunting 6.5x284 shoots 140 Berger VLD Hunting, 51.7gr H4831sc, CCI 200s with a COL of 3.130.

My pet hunting load for several years in my 6.5x284 rifles is 58gr Retumbo, Fed210M, Lapua brass, and 140gr VLD's seated .025-.075" off the lands depending on the particular rifle. This load generates 2975FPS, very low ES, generally less then 12FPS. It is temperature stable, and produces low pressures giving me at least 10 reloads/case. My barrels are all 1:8 twist and 24-26".

I have yet to find a Reloading manual, including the Berger, which does not understate the loads for this cartridge for safety reasons. I believe this is due to the variations in chamber and action length that have been produced for this relatively new wildcat over the years. Lots of liberties have been taken by both the factories and gunsmiths with this round. A "properly chambered" 6.5x284 Norma (SAAMI) and Lapua or Norma brass built on a LONG ACTION should produce velocities in the 3000 FPS range within acceptable pressure limits in a 26" barrel using 140gr bullets.

I agree with GreyFox. My pet load has been 59gn Retumbo, Lapua brass, CCI BR2's behind the 140gn AMax. I get just over 3k with low ES/SD.
Went to the ELD-M (140) and dropped it down to 58gn's due to bolt lift became snug. Seemed strange but I measured a small sample of the ELD-M's compared to the AMax's and they were a "scosh" longer. Nothing scientific or documented.
I am preparing to start load development with 143gn ELD -X's and same components but different barrel (Lothar Walther 28").

Currently shooting 57grns of Retumbo lit by a fed 210M primer. Not at my desk so I don't know the length right now. Also I am going to try some different primers to see if I can tighten up the groups. Another gadget I just got was the Redding VLD seater stem so I can cut down on the group size as well. Just going back through some of my preloaded ammo and setting up the die, I was seeing a difference it made getting things a lot more consistent. I have yet to start neck sizing but this may be my next step. If I shoot at a MOA size rock at 1000yrds I get about 4 out of 10 or 5 out of 10 hitting the rock. Inside 800 it get a lot better but I'm trying to get that consistent inside MOA group at 1000 or better. Best day I went for 9 out of 10...no wind and temp was about 55 degrees and very consistent temp that day. Not that it was the temp that day it was the no wind and a good solid shooting bench.

Currently shooting 57grns of Retumbo lit by a fed 210M primer. Not at my desk so I don't know the length right now. Also I am going to try some different primers to see if I can tighten up the groups. Another gadget I just got was the Redding VLD seater stem so I can cut down on the group size as well. Just going back through some of my preloaded ammo and setting up the die, I was seeing a difference it made getting things a lot more consistent. I have yet to start neck sizing but this may be my next step. If I shoot at a MOA size rock at 1000yrds I get about 4 out of 10 or 5 out of 10 hitting the rock. Inside 800 it get a lot better but I'm trying to get that consistent inside MOA group at 1000 or better. Best day I went for 9 out of 10...no wind and temp was about 55 degrees and very consistent temp that day. Not that it was the temp that day it was the no wind and a good solid shooting bench.

Using the same powder, charge size, and primer, I was able to tighten my groups to sub .5MOA at 1000 yards, with ES under 10 FPS by neck sizing(.292' bushing) with 1X fired Lapua cases, and using 140 JLK VLD.s. The JLK's use the same J4 jackets as the Bergers and have very nicely finished, consistent meplats. With the accuracy improvement I have greatly improved my hit percentage on 800 yard PD.s, 1000+ yard coyotes, and took a quartering away antelope last season at 1188 yards......DRT

I went out and tried the primers. I don't know if it was a fair test because the targets I used I really could not see the X mark really well. I think it caused my test to be off greatly, but first off I did not load any with my standard hunting load of fed 210M primers...as for the rest the BR2 when shooting them seem to be slower in velocity due to the 1/2 inch lower hits on the bulls eye but it did produce a .65 inch group. So if any thing I would say the BR2 seem to be as consistent as the 210M's. Need to check the velocity on this load compared with my hunting load. both loads are 57 grains of Retumbo. But with all this said I think I'm going to order me a neck bushing die. I don't know if the Redding neck bushing die will also bump the shoulder back. I see a FL sizing neck bushing die (on midway USA) that I assume you can set up to just bump the shoulder back.....Anyone have any thoughts on this or have experience on a good neck bushing die that will bump the shoulder back as well.

Wachsmann;1223609 But with all this said I think I'm going to order me a neck bushing die. I don't know if the Redding neck bushing die will also bump the shoulder back. I see a FL sizing neck bushing die (on midway USA) that I assume you can set up to just bump the shoulder back.....Anyone have any thoughts on this or have experience on a good neck bushing die that will bump the shoulder back as well.[/QUOTE said:
The Redding neck sizing dies do not bump the shoulder they align the case and size the neck only. The completion die set comes with a body die for the shoulder.

You'll need a bit of experimentation with the bushing I am pretty sure most of us are using .292 with Lapua I have 3 of them .291 .292 and .293. Don't think I have ever used the .293 that will depend o the bullets.

It's easy to start nit picking with these 6.5's.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.