6.5-284 Build

I'm looking at a similar set in the near future. How heavy is that rifle (with the optic)?

14.5 pounds. ( The 26" Brux barrel is "extra" heavy ).

joseph

Attachments

• pst 2.jpg
    pst 2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
The rifle is now complete. My suppressor dealer got the tax stamp today so today was Christmas for me. The wait was about 10 months but it was worth it. Significantly reduced recoil and report similar to a 22 mag without the crack.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 116
I just read your post where you mention fudging the BC to match your drops. Don't mess with the BC for your Berger VLDs, adjust your velocity instead. If you check out the ballistic calculator on this site, Vortex Optics site, or Gunwerks site (all the same calculator and all free) there is a "Trajectory Validation" process ( a tab in the calculator) that can adjust either the BC or the MV. Berger's published BCs have proven to be very reliable- much more so than any chronograph's MV (there are several factors that cause some inaccuracy in chrono output, I won't bore you with the details- Bryan Litz explains it very well in his book 'Applied Ballistics'. I have used the validation process on three different rifles, two of which are shooting the same bullet, but at different velocities (a 6.5x284 @2870fps and a Creedmoor @2735fps) and tweaking the MV is definitely the way to go.

Thanks for the advice creedmoor.

I ended up using the "Shooter" app written by Brian Litz and as you said played with the velocity to calibrate the calculator to match my drop chart.

I also got a Kestrel Meter for pulling density altitude and temperature for input into the calculator and that combo with the Shooter app is very reliable.

Thanks,

Ryan

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.