New scope for .284 build 100-800m

That burris looks like a nice scope and it fucks all the nice boxs I will defiantly be checking it out

I guess I am not much of a "low light hunter"

I would say the glass is every bit as good as the zeiss.

I've looked through them both, the Zeiss is worlds better esp in low light. but to everyone is there own eye's see things different, so who knows.

I have looked through many scopes. looking for a good low light scopes is totally different than daytime. the German tech is light years ahead of the rest of us in this field, as they do a lot of night hunting. So Euro Glass would fit your needs better.
I have compared Leupold, Nightforce, Vortex, Zeiss and Nikon to one another through the times.. And everyone my see it a little different, to me the 56mm nightforces was better in low light than the 50mm Leupold at 18x in low light. I have compared my old 1994 6.5-20x50mm Leupold to my 2011 4-18x40mm Nikon and both was about even in low light at 18x. Then got out the Ziess Conquest HD5 5-25x50 Varmint rec and it was like looking through night vision compared to the other scopes..
Mine at the time was listed at $1150, got a demo model for $950.

These are good scopes, not the best Glass Zeiss has, but better than 99% of the top Glass from Japan

For day time clarity, they are great, Not sure if any better than top Leupolds, Nightforces, vortexs etc etc
I bought a Sightron 8-32x56mm for my 284 last year and it has Superb Clarity

For what you want I would get a 3x15x50mm Zeiss Hd5. They ;list for $1199, but here is a demo model for $899 (very close to your budget)

eurooptic dot com has demo models for $899 as of right now

Just got a look at the hd5 and I also looked at the SWAROVSKI Z3 and Z5 and I liked the hd5 better than
Z3 but the Z5 3.5-18x44 with balistic turrent was a realy nice peace of kit anyone got one of these and what are your experiences?
I know it's out of my price range but I think it's worth the extra coin

Just got a look at the hd5 and I also looked at the SWAROVSKI Z3 and Z5 and I liked the hd5 better than
Z3 but the Z5 3.5-18x44 with balistic turrent was a realy nice peace of kit anyone got one of these and what are your experiences?
I know it's out of my price range but I think it's worth the extra coin

Did you compare them at low light when you will be hunting? the 50mm will bring in more light per magnification than the 44mm assuming the coating and glass are equal.

Younger people ages up to around 30 have 7mm exit pupils but as we get older, our eye don't open up as much, people in their 50s may have only 4mm to 5mm exit pupils and older only 3mm to 4mm exit pupils. Depending on the person.
Chuck Yeager had eagle eye 20/10 vision well past his 70's, but that is an exception.

Most Deer hunting is dusk and Dawn hours, most Coyote Hunting is Dawn and Dusk as well.. if your in you 50's 60's and have a max exit pupil of around 4.5mm Then a 44mm is going to give maximum exit pupil up to 9.77 power, a 50mm up 11.11 power
As You crank up the power, your Target will get darker. at 15x the 44mm will give you a 2.933 exit pupil. the 50mm will give 3.33. Depend on ho far you are and how dark it is. a 56mm would help more, but this is all assuming the coating are the same on the lenses. a low quality 50mm Simmons is not going to be as bright than a 40mm Swaro for sure.

Thanks yea I know about exit pupils I think it is nice to have the extra mag there it's easy to turn a scope down but if you have a 3-9 x40 you have 9x power and that's it
Be nice to be able to zoom in some times

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.