6.5-06 Using Reloder 22

That would be the closest .264 I've got to the .264/06..next step up is my 264 Winchester mag which I run57.4 grains of 4064 in it and get around 3200 fps..but with different powders it is capable of much more

I'd have to get my notes to see what I'm running out of my 264WM...I know I using 135gr Bergers.

The 6.5 Sherman is a totally different animal!

I do know I'm not seeing any pressure signs right now at 53.7gr of R-22...so next range trip I will be walking the powder charge up 0.1 at a time...looking for a noid that is north of 3100fps.

Well drug my 6.5-06 out today & tried some loads with Hornady 129 gr bonded & Rel 22. My barrel is a very accurate E. R. Shaw 24" stainless, 1/8 twist. Standard A-Square chamber , no special throating. Using CCI # 200 LR primers worked up to 56grs of Rel 22 for 3112 fps in "my" rifle. Not the slightest sign of excessive pressure. Using a once fired case that I fired four times, the primer pocket stayed very snug. As I said in "my" rifle. Could not help firing it at my 522 yd target & got back a vert satisfying thunk. Works for me. I love the 6.5 as history has shown I am keeping good company with the many others who have for 120 + years.
I'm a bit closer to 3100fps...even closer with 130gr Berger OTM...with 53.7gr of R-22 it's average is running 3080fps...but not quite as accurate as the 130gr Nosler RDF.

Great info you posted too...I forgot the mention I'm running a 26" barrel with varmint contour...

Joyce Hornady published the data in his reloading handbook..1973 vol 2

Yes, I have some of those old BS reloading books. Like I said they don't live up to the claimed fps when you chrono them and they cause loose primer pockets so you throw away the brass after one shot. I've met people that use hot powder like 4064, 3031, and 4320. because they can get more loads per pound and they all make great claims. LOL

Yes, I have some of those old BS reloading books. Like I said they don't live up to the claimed fps when you chrono them and they cause loose primer pockets so you throw away the brass after one shot. I've met people that use hot powder like 4064, 3031, and 4320. because they can get more loads per pound and they all make great claims. LOL
[/QUOTE.. Hornady reload data has been historically accurate throughout the years..

I wouldn't go as far as saying that Joyce Hornady is a hack..that's pretty arrogant on your part..lol

Not arrogant when you test with multiple rifles, people, and chronographs. all showing that reloading books like your Hornady are misinformation. I would call someone foolish to blindly believe a book without personal testing! Instead of talking why don't you load that 4320 recipe and get back to us what it did to the case and actual chrono data for a 5 shot avg.

Here is the oldest book I have and much more believable that Hornady's inflated rounded off numbers. this speer # 5 from the early 60's book is something i used in the 70's and the top loads are just like they said, " use with caution" because I've had my share of blown primers especially on hot days.

130-grain.jpg

You do know that Hornady is a world renowned bullet manufacturer..as it states..start with mid range loads and work your loads up keeping an eye on pressure and accuracy..

Not arrogant when you test with multiple rifles, people, and chronographs. all showing that reloading books like your Hornady are misinformation. I would call someone foolish to blindly believe a book without personal testing! Instead of talking why don't you load that 4320 recipe and get back to us what it did to the case and actual chrono data for a 5 shot avg.

Here is the oldest book I have and much more believable that Hornady's inflated rounded off numbers. this speer # 5 from the early 60's book is something i used in the 70's and the top loads are just like they said, " use with caution" because I've had my share of blown primers especially on hot days.

130-grain.jpg
If I went by Speer reloading data my 8/57 mausers would still be stranded at 2500 fps..just like the sub standard cartridges they used to sell..

I had started out using Hybrid 100V but I'm getting quite a bit above max published load data and not getting where I wanted to be. At almost 2 grains over max, I'm still not to 3100FPS, even though I'm not showing any signs of pressure...need ejector Mark's not sticky bolt.

So I picked up a 5lb jug of R-22 to give it a go. So far I'm a little over max Nosler data but not much without any pressure signs...looking like I'm within a couple 10ths of the next noid but still shooting pretty decent.

View attachment 180937
This target was shot at 500 yards yesterday with a mirage so bad that it looked more like a flag than a target. So I didn't even bother with a 5th shot. Kind of wish I had...of course you couldn't see the holes in the paper in those conditions, so I didn't know until I walked down to pull the target.

The wind was acting a bit crazy too! At the bench the surveyor tape was showing the wind at 4 o'clock, basically coming over my right shoulder, but the surveyor tape at the target was from 9 o'clock...I'm guessing is was bouncing off the 400 yard berm.

With 53.7gr of R-22 I'm pushing Nosler 130gr RDF at 3050fps average the SD 15 and SD 25 (IIRC)...it looks like I might get closer to 3100fps and the next noid before I see pressure signs. Normal disclosure on working your way up to my results.

Anyone found the magic recipe to break the 3100fps mark with R-22?
Go with RL23 not 22.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.