6.5-06 Using Reloder 22

CaptnC

I had started out using Hybrid 100V but I'm getting quite a bit above max published load data and not getting where I wanted to be. At almost 2 grains over max, I'm still not to 3100FPS, even though I'm not showing any signs of pressure...need ejector Mark's not sticky bolt.

So I picked up a 5lb jug of R-22 to give it a go. So far I'm a little over max Nosler data but not much without any pressure signs...looking like I'm within a couple 10ths of the next noid but still shooting pretty decent.

20200310_142741.jpg

This target was shot at 500 yards yesterday with a mirage so bad that it looked more like a flag than a target. So I didn't even bother with a 5th shot. Kind of wish I had...of course you couldn't see the holes in the paper in those conditions, so I didn't know until I walked down to pull the target.

The wind was acting a bit crazy too! At the bench the surveyor tape was showing the wind at 4 o'clock, basically coming over my right shoulder, but the surveyor tape at the target was from 9 o'clock...I'm guessing is was bouncing off the 400 yard berm.

With 53.7gr of R-22 I'm pushing Nosler 130gr RDF at 3050fps average the SD 15 and SD 25 (IIRC)...it looks like I might get closer to 3100fps and the next noid before I see pressure signs. Normal disclosure on working your way up to my results.

Anyone found the magic recipe to break the 3100fps mark with R-22?

I have never had a 6.5 caliber rifle but I have seen several friends struggle to get decent velocities with a 6.5.
I have a government hunter friend in WY that absolutely wore a custom barrel out trying to get more velocity. A lot of guys love them but you will NEVER see a 6.5 anything on my reloading bench.

I had started out using Hybrid 100V but I'm getting quite a bit above max published load data and not getting where I wanted to be. At almost 2 grains over max, I'm still not to 3100FPS, even though I'm not showing any signs of pressure...need ejector Mark's not sticky bolt.

So I picked up a 5lb jug of R-22 to give it a go. So far I'm a little over max Nosler data but not much without any pressure signs...looking like I'm within a couple 10ths of the next noid but still shooting pretty decent.

View attachment 180937
This target was shot at 500 yards yesterday with a mirage so bad that it looked more like a flag than a target. So I didn't even bother with a 5th shot. Kind of wish I had...of course you couldn't see the holes in the paper in those conditions, so I didn't know until I walked down to pull the target.

The wind was acting a bit crazy too! At the bench the surveyor tape was showing the wind at 4 o'clock, basically coming over my right shoulder, but the surveyor tape at the target was from 9 o'clock...I'm guessing is was bouncing off the 400 yard berm.

With 53.7gr of R-22 I'm pushing Nosler 130gr RDF at 3050fps average the SD 15 and SD 25 (IIRC)...it looks like I might get closer to 3100fps and the next noid before I see pressure signs. Normal disclosure on working your way up to my results.

Anyone found the magic recipe to break the 3100fps mark with R-22?
Run a 6.5 Sherman reamer in your chamber and you will run a 130 North of 3300'.
Very easy to clean up with no barrel set back needed.

I have never had a 6.5 caliber rifle but I have seen several friends struggle to get decent velocities with a 6.5.
I have a government hunter friend in WY that absolutely wore a custom barrel out trying to get more velocity. A lot of guys love them but you will NEVER see a 6.5 anything on my reloading bench.
"friends struggle to get decent velocities"
"get more velocity"

Kind of vague comments. Define what 6.5mm they are shooting and what velocities they are trying to reach.

No way to get 130gr bullet to shoot 3000fps out of a 6.5 Grendel!

I know that's an extreme example, but I don't think over 3000fps is too bad for non-magmun running 130's in a 6.5mm cartridge.

Hybrid 100V is not a common powder for 6.5-06 but I use it in some other rifles. It is listed in Hodgdons load data so I gave it a go. It shot very well too...there is still plenty of room for more powder if I go back to it too.

I bet I could easily hit 3200fps with my 264wm and 130's...that's scoot'n along pretty good. But I normally shoot heavier bullets out of it...

Thanks elkaholic...your always in the back of my mind when playing with different chamberings

I just had my 6.5-06 rebarreled after I shot it out. I went longer and heavier this time. My reamer has 0.175" freebore so I can load them a little longer. With 56gr re26 and a 140gr, I averaged 3120fps, that's the same charge that gave me 3012fps in my other barrel. Problem is, I dont have much 26 left and cant find any. Looking to try re23 next.

Just wanted to share some data I worked today, using 30-06 norma brass, 140gr hornady, cci 250, h1000 with a 28.5" barrel... loaded to 300wm length... remember to start low and work up for safety! The 60gr charge was a little funky, 1st shot was 3161fps and the next two were 3105 and 3110. Used a magnetospeed v3.
20200311_172029.jpg

I just had my 6.5-06 rebarreled after I shot it out. I went longer and heavier this time. My reamer has 0.175" freebore so I can load them a little longer. With 56gr re26 and a 140gr, I averaged 3120fps, that's the same charge that gave me 3012fps in my other barrel. Problem is, I dont have much 26 left and cant find any. Looking to try re23 next.
Someone just posted about a couple stores getting Reloder 26 in stock so I guess it's starting to reappear.

The ss is but not the Sherman. The Sherman is a highly modified 270 case with about 75 grain capacity
Can you run that on a standard shank LA ?
I just got a mag face 700 SA for my SS but have some other Savage donors laying around.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.