6.5-06 or 6.5-06 A.I.

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
6.5-06 or 6.5-06 A.I.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got an extra M700 long action laying here that I've been kicking around for a while. Anybody have any hands-on experience with either of these cartridges? Recommend one over the other? Is it worth going A.I. on it? I've just taken a real interest in doing one or the other, help me decide which one.
posted April 14, 2001 06:13 PM

Fergus Bailey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary
Either one can shoot very well if built to a high standard. I prefer the AI myself because of the usual Ackley benefits. I plan to build one on an old Rem 700 action I have on hand, but its about number 4 on my priority list right now.

A friend of mine has a 6.5-06 AI and has had very good results with it. When I was at the IBS 1000yd Nationals last year, I was very surprised to see how well Tina Harris shot her 6.5-06 (std, not the AI). Just goes to prove either can shoot.

Fergus
http://www.angelfire.com/ab/fergus

posted April 16, 2001 09:08 PM

I don't kno about accuracy, but the AI version is actually slower than the original. It tells you about it in Cartidges of the World. A friend of mine had the original and rechambered, sure enough, it was slower. I am considering the 6.5/284. That caliber is tearing up at Williamsport 1000 yard shoots and is a more inherantly accurate case than others are. I am having one built by Howard Wolf in a few months on a trued 700. Actually, I am in the market for a new 700 action but without the safety lock on the bolt shroud. I want the ols style, if anyone knows where I ca buy one, please let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts