6.5-284 or 6.5-06

6.5-06 AI, which is what I have. Was built by R BROS.
No problem loading the 140gr Berger , and shooting them at over 3000fps.
Neck up 25-06 brass, and go.
Great caliber in my opinion.

I just considered this question myself, concerning my hunting rifle a 700lh la in 270 win. here are the thoughts that made my decision.
- The rifle is already set up to feed 06 cases
- Lapua brass is available in 30-06, will take some extra prep though
- I've owned a 6.5-06 700 magazine space is a non-issue
- The 06 is slightly bigger and slightly faster
- The 284 is lauded as inherently accurate
- The 6.5-284 brass is produced and available from Lapua
- 6.5-284 components - dies, reamers, etc have better availability
- 6.5-284 is a factory chambering
- 6.5-06 owners also point to some incredible accuracy
My rifle is a sporter weight hunting rifle therefore velocity matters, feeding matters, accurate ammunition components matter, and barrel life not quite so much. I think it would be hard to develop an accuracy load that drives a 140gr @ 3000+ from the 6.5-284.
-My final decision: a 6.5-06 AI met my desires and on hand equipment the best

Thanks for all the good info everyone. This is where I sit at the moment, basically just need to order the barrel, and decide on a scope, then its off to the builder. I think I have decided to go with the 6.5-06 because its already an 06 gun and I will have no feed problems.

Model 700 LA BDL Action(6 digit non-prefix serial)
Bell and Carlson Alaskan Ti stock
PTG Oberndorf Bottom Metal
Stainless Holland Comp Recoil Lug
Callahan SpeedLock (Aluminum Shroud and Firing Pin)
Leupold DD Base and Rings
Bolt has been fluted and PTG Tactical Handle installed

For the barrel I'm looking at a #3 contour 1:8 Schneider P5 to save some weight. I want a gun that can be packed, so should I go 24" or 26" and still be able to get around 2900 fps from a 140 hunting bullet?

the 6.5/.284 is a great round for sure, but if you check the 1000 yard shoots the 6.5-06 is much more common. Why? I can't say, but it is. The 6.5/.284 is well known to be hard on barrels, and I doubt the 6.5-06 is easy as well. Still I think it will be easier on them. But in a hunting rifle, you'd never see the difference. The one thing that has always bothered me about the .284 case is availability. I've seen them dry up twice now, and there'll probably always be 30-06 cases laying around. The one serious advantage the .284 case shows is the length when used in a longer action. But on the otherhand it's neck is too short for the caliber. And I think a 6.5-06AI is probably a lot better round in the end. Still for a hunting rifle, I think it'd be hard to do anybetter than the 6.5x57AI. The others are faster, but each has a drawback. The 57mm case length allows big long bullets to fit nicely in a magazine, and cases are real easy to build (just neck up .257 Roberts cases and fire form). Of course you could solve all this quagmire by simply building a 6.5WSM
gary

Tricky,

I haven't looked at the WSM as an option for a 6.5. Besides good velocity, does the 6.5 WSM offer a longer neck and potentially better barrel life compared to the others being discussed? It seems like the neck is over .3 long.

If you can give up a 100fps there is the 6.5 swede. Barrel life will be about as good as
it gets. Brass life can be in the 70 or 80 loadings. Maybe a 6.5x55 AI should be in the
works?

think about it a minute. The neck on the 6.5-284 is known to be too short from the start. You load a 6.5x284 to about 2.88" over all length with with the 140 grain bullet. You load a 6.5-06 with the same bullet at 3.260" in a 30-06 mag well. The same 30-06 with 175 grain sierras is about .030" longer in over all length. In otherwords no serious problem. But if you do a short action in the 6.5-284, your looking at stuffing the 2.88" number in a mag well designed for a .308 length round (if its a Remington). The 7.62 service rifle loads are set at 2.80". Now a Winchester is slightly longer than the Remington, and a Savage is a little longer yet (I'd guess .156"). This means that your gonna be pushing the bullet back into the shoulder with those long bullets, thus loosing out in case capacity. That is unless you doing a Savage. But if the action is 30-06 length; you wont have these issues to deal with. The Remington will be somewhere around 3.30" in the long action, so a 6.5-06 will work just fine with the VLD's, and not have the base of the bullet stuffed into the shoulder. I think that whatever I went with it would be on a long action.
gary

I build my guns on Tikka actions which are all long. I should have clarified that a long action was the basis for my comment.

While there are a number of contributors to barrel life, 800 is a number that's often thrown around for 6.5x284. And, it's something I can live with. I bought a used Kreiger with 800 rounds down it, did a setback and built a very nice sub-half MOA hunting rifle. And, I'll change things up again when the accuracy wanes or when I get bored.

For a competition rifle, I can see how barrel life minus load development minus practice equals not much life left. But, then you shouldn't limit yourself to these 2 cartridges either.

I have no idea where 6.5-06 stands in the mix for barrel life. For those that consider 800 a big problem, there are a lot of 6.5's to choose from. I'd like to own one of each.

In the end, Lapua brass with the 6.5x284 headstamp is a big plus for me.

-- richard

I sorta figure that sooner or later somebody is going to get smart and sell a 2.31" long .284 basic case. When this comes along everybody else will take a back seat. With that case you do do a lot of rounds. Or better yet the 7.5 Swiss in a basic case about 2.25" long. Norma already does the case, but not as a basic.
gary

Another thought would be 6.5-280AI.

You can buy Nosler 280ai brass and neck it down to 6.5 and be done. I know Noslers brass is pretty consistent but I have read it is somewhat soft and not nearly as durable as Lapua.

Tricky,

I haven't looked at the WSM as an option for a 6.5. Besides good velocity, does the 6.5 WSM offer a longer neck and potentially better barrel life compared to the others being discussed? It seems like the neck is over .3 long.

The WSM neck is in the same boat with the .284. Still if it's a pure hunting rifle, I wouldn't worry about it. None are all that great when you look at the placement of the T.P. in the neck to throat area. The .284 would have been great with about a .34" neck length. Not a lot I know but enough to make a serious difference with big long bullets. The 6.5-06AI is probably close to perfect other than being in an overbore condition (not a great amount).
gary

I build my guns on Tikka actions which are all long. I should have clarified that a long action was the basis for my comment.

I have a couple buddies that hunt with Tikkas. and have been using them since the early 1980's. Never paid a lot of attention to them, and maybe I need to borrow one for a long weekend. They sound interesting. Exactly who builds them?
gary

Jerry Newman is doing a 6.5-06 for me, he's got the reamer made up for my rifle. Let me know if you would like to speak with him I can get you his number.

I have a couple buddies that hunt with Tikkas. and have been using them since the early 1980's. Never paid a lot of attention to them, and maybe I need to borrow one for a long weekend. They sound interesting. Exactly who builds them?
gary

They are a Sako built rifle.

6.5-284 on a CRF model 70 featherweight LA.

custom Rock barrel, 8 twist, Melonite coated... should last 2000 plus rounds.

Trigger tuned to 2 lbs. Extended mag box.

Action trued, bedded and awesome stock.

incredible hunting rig !

6_5x284.JPG

6_5x284_stock.JPG

6.5-284 on a CRF model 70 featherweight LA.

custom Rock barrel, 8 twist, Melonite coated... should last 2000 plus rounds.

Trigger tuned to 2 lbs. Extended mag box.

Action trued, bedded and awesome stock.

incredible hunting rig !

6_5x284.JPG

6_5x284_stock.JPG

Beautiful.

Why do you think it will hit 2k rounds?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts