6.5-06, or 6.5-284

Is there much to be gained with the 6.5-06AI over the non improved? Everything I have read seems to be 6 one way half a dozen the other. What kind of honest FPS gains is there with the Ackley improved? I've read it's only about 50fps on the average over the non improved. Is that correct?

I don't remember exactly but the Lilja tube I ordered is either a #4 or 5. I'm trying to make a nice relatively light weight deer gun. Will most likely be about 25in + 1in break.

Why do you use 270win brass and trim? Why not use Lapua 30-06 brass? I would think a extra necking down step would be easier than trimming all your brass. Is neck thickness the concern?

My only concern is reliable feeding with the 6.5-284. If this can be obtained, 6.5-284 sure seems like the best choice to me.

Is there much to be gained with the 6.5-06AI over the non improved? Everything I have read seems to be 6 one way half a dozen the other. What kind of honest FPS gains is there with the Ackley improved? I've read it's only about 50fps on the average over the non improved. Is that correct?

I don't remember exactly but the Lilja tube I ordered is either a #4 or 5. I'm trying to make a nice relatively light weight deer gun. Will most likely be about 25in + 1in break.

Why do you use 270win brass and trim? Why not use Lapua 30-06 brass? I would think a extra necking down step would be easier than trimming all your brass. Is neck thickness the concern?

My only concern is reliable feeding with the 6.5-284. If this can be obtained, 6.5-284 sure seems like the best choice to me.

I shot an A.I. for years and thought it was worth it. I could reach 3100' with a stiff load in a 26" barrel. If you were going to consider jumping up from a std. I would consider going to my 6.5 Sherman. The A.I. holds about 6% more powder than a std. and my case holds about 11% more. I'm getting up to 3200' with a 26" barrel and 140 Bergers. Accuracy is great and case life is VERY good.......Rich

I went with the 6.5-06 non AI because the gain of the AI in this particular cartridge has the least amount of gain of the stuff that PO Ackley did. The only real gain in my opinion is that the brass will last a little longer when it is AI.

I use Winchester 25-06 brass. Full length size and clean it up, good to go. RCBS dies off the shelf.

Steve

I went with the 6.5-06 non AI because the gain of the AI in this particular cartridge has the least amount of gain of the stuff that PO Ackley did. The only real gain in my opinion is that the brass will last a little longer when it is AI.

I use Winchester 25-06 brass. Full length size and clean it up, good to go. RCBS dies off the shelf.

Steve

I think the new powders that were not available when P.O. developed the round have made the design more useful than it was then. With powders like RL22 and 25, 7828, Retumbo etc., the gains are greater. At the time, 4831 was about the best there was. Nothing wrong with 4831 but with 140's the powders that I mentioned work better, especially with the higher volume case. My experience..........Rich

If you were going to consider jumping up from a std. I would consider going to my 6.5 Sherman. The A.I. holds about 6% more powder than a std. and my case holds about 11% more. I'm getting up to 3200' with a 26" barrel and 140 Bergers. Accuracy is great and case life is VERY good.......Rich

do you own the reamer on that sherman?

what are you doing for dies?

what about dies Rich? do you need a custom set made or can you make something else work?

Not sure? I have custom but if you had machining capabilities, you could probably recut a std or A.I. die. You could also use a Hornady (straight wall) neck sizer in .264 and load until they didn't fit the chamber anymore:D:D....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts