25-06 a.i.

Get a set of loading dies in 25-06AI some H-4831 some 117 Sierra bullets CCI-BR2 primers start at 52 grs and work up. You will need to fire form some cases first so get you some factory 25-06 ammo and shoot it in your rifle. That is how you fire form cases, and most of the time it is pretty accurate. No factory ammo is available in 25-06AI that I know of. You are strictly on your own and must hand load for the 25-06AI.

As RT said get some factory 25-06 loads and fire away... That is the nice thing about ackley's they were designed to fire the factory rounds they were based on...

Did you get this rifle second hand? What make is it and what is the barrel twist rate?

Once you have some fireformed brass from shooting the factory loads get some 25-06ai dies and start taking advantage of the ackley design....

I'm using 115gr Berger vlds over 59.5gr reloader 25 (hot load! So try working up from 55 grains) and federal 210 primers in Lapua brass... About 3300 fps

Of course if you are dead set on not reloading then you could just shoot factory loads in it like a regular 25-06....

Orch

I love the 25-06AI I had built last winter, and I'm still working on loads for it. I have not shot a factory load through it yet and probably never will. I've been handloading so long, that's the only ammo I use in anything I shoot.

If a person does not handload I would recommend avoiding the Ackley chamberings. Every shot is a fireforming operation. And although the parent cartridges are generally very accurate in the Ackley chamber, a person is giving up some velocity. And on occasion, a person will get a ruptured case (just part of the fun of fireforming).

--gr8whyt

I got this rifle second hand, it will not chamber a factory load. Cabelas gunsmith said it was a custom rifle, Rem. 700 aftermarket barrel and trigger, stock etc. what should a non hunter do with this rifle.

Hmmm....... If it has "25-06 AI" or "25-06 Ackley Improved" or "25-06 Improved" stamped on the barel it should fire factory 25-06 ammo.... Firing the factory dimension brass through the rifle on the first firing is how you make The brass into "Ackley Improved" brass.... If in doubt take it to a QUALIFIED smith and have them do a cast of the chamber and remove all doubt... Not saying the smith at cabelas is an idiot but...........
Okay maybe I am.... my suspicion is the gun smith there is probably just the guy that knows how to mount scopes and boresite them and probably doesn't know s&!t when it comes to anything that is not bonestock factory that they are trying to hock to the less informed public.... Atleast that has been my experience as a patron at my local cabelas.... It seems everytime I go in there, IF I get to talk to someone at the gun counter the guys there remind me of a greasy carsalesman trying to tell me how the braking system on the car I am looking at will let me brake soooooooo much sooner because they are antilock brakes.... Freaking drives me nuts....

Sorry!..... Went off on a tangent there!

Long story short... If it says 25-06 AI on the barel it should fire factory 25-06 rem ammo...

Orch

I have heard that a good AI chamber will allow factory ammo to fit but it should be a snug fit so the case will have no fore and aft movement during fireforming. Perhaps this particular chamber is on the short side but with some bolt closing effort it will close. I'd try an empty case and see.

As many here know, if there is some wiggle room in the chamber either a false shoulder or bullet seated into rifling is the preferred method to keep the case against the bolt face.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.