6.5-06 or 6.5-284

Greg Duerr

This has been probably beaten to death...........but What really is the difference between in performance between the 6.5-06 and the 6.5-284 is one more accurate than the other or can a reloader get better performance out of one over the other.

Can the 6.5-284 equal the performance of the 6.5-06 Ackley? With the 140 Berger

They're virtually the same capacity, and both producing same velocities with the 06 one step slower in powder in brand(4831-vs-4350, etc).
As far as the long run, the 284 case is better reloading given it's improvement over the 06 case.
You could review some loads for both here:
The Rifle Section @ www.reloadersnest.com

If you improve either cartridge from where they are, the advantage goes to it.

Your intended purpose will alter the "which is better" equation a lot. If your primary purpose is for target/competition use, the 6.5-284 is probably a better choice (though I would argue there are better 6.5's for the purpose).

If your primary purpose involves hunting and other applications that involve short shot strings, bypass 6.5-06 and 6.5-06AI, and go directly to the 6.5 Sherman (elkaholic is the guy who can help you with this). It is everything there is to be had without going to a magnum case. He also has developed a short action equivalent called the 6.5 SS (Sherman Short), if the short action stuff trips your trigger.

here is the facts. the 65/284 was designed to shoot paper and on a short action of which defeats the whole purpose of the long range round-However the savage 111 does use a full length action thus it will be a paper puncher and a game getter. and they usually have a 1-8 rifle twist. the 6.5/06 was designed to hunt game only and a 1-9 twist for bullets 140 and lighter.as a hunter i like the 6.5/06. thaey are both 10 x better than the creedmore.

here is the facts. the 65/284 was designed to shoot paper and on a short action of which defeats the whole purpose of the long range round-However the savage 111 does use a full length action thus it will be a paper puncher and a game getter. and they usually have a 1-8 rifle twist. the 6.5/06 was designed to hunt game only and a 1-9 twist for bullets 140 and lighter.as a hunter i like the 6.5/06. thaey are both 10 x better than the creedmore.
Have you ever hear of the 6.5x284 Norma OAL 3.228"

Have you ever hear of the 6.5x284 Norma OAL 3.228"
Yes it is a military sniper round. shoots like nothing else. That is why it uses a long action. . there was never a need for this round because the 6.5/06 is just a good with out the trouble , but using a single shot rifle the 6.5/284 was a 1000 yard round and the gun writers supported it . it is good and very accurate. the reason for norma is the 6.5 cal is a Sweden calibre, but the 6.5/ 284 is all Winchester.

here is the facts.....the 6.5/06 was designed to hunt game only and a 1-9 twist for bullets 140 and lighter.as a hunter i like the 6.5/06. they are both 10 x better than the creedmoor.

My Criterion Savage pre-fit 6.5-06 Match has a 1:8 twist...
I do have a Colombian Mauser build with an Douglass barrel that is 1:9

When I originally went with the 6.5-06 it was because it had a slight edge velocity wise and I could make brass from 25-06 brass. So it has benefits over the 6.5X284 but after it was all said and done...I built a 6.5X284 with a used barrel and eventually replaced it with a heavier profile that was longer.

BUT my last build, just completed last week (Criterion Barrel mentioned above) was another 6.5-06!

Good Move the 6.5/06 had been around almost 80 years or better. a thing called the 256 Newton a hell of a gun and 50 years ahead of it time was the first . it will do the same with less pressure which = better accuracy. you can use 25/06 brass or I use 270 and trim 1 mm and it is the same..
I will never understand why remington did not put this round out, I suppose because the 25/06 and the 7mm magnum but Winchester 264 was a hell of a round , but bad on barrels due to the powders of the day. again I been shooting the 6.5/06 for 45 years and it is very good for any animal up to 350 lbs and in montana many elk hunters swear by the 264.. and I now why.

Yes it is a military sniper round. shoots like nothing else. That is why it uses a long action. . there was never a need for this round because the 6.5/06 is just a good with out the trouble , but using a single shot rifle the 6.5/284 was a 1000 yard round and the gun writers supported it . it is good and very accurate. the reason for norma is the 6.5 cal is a Sweden calibre, but the 6.5/ 284 is all Winchester.

My 6.5x284 Norma was build long action and feed fine with 6.5x284 Lapua brass. I'm not building match 1000yd rifles. You have 6.5-06 A Square it's SAAMI spec sure didn't maker it.

Tom H you have a shooter for sure and I agree. the only thing the 6.5/06 is a much easier case to form other than this they are one and the same you have a long action thus the results. the raason it did not make it in 1958 winchester produced the 264 win mag. and later remington produced the 7 mm rem mag. and thus no reason for a 6.5 . actually what can we do with our 6.5's that the old 1935 270 win can do. you like I like the 6.5 and it can go about 50 yards more but do we need this.

I've had a couple of 6.5-06s and one 6.5-284. All of them have been exceptionally accurate and close in performance. Obviously build them on a LA.

Riflehunter 1776; I guess because my grandfather came to america in 1651 from Sweden, I like the 6.5 cal.. by the way in 2002, I was in Stokholm at the royal Palace and the guards had FN mausers as their weapons and I was supprised knowing how good the swed small ring rifle is. Ant way I do kow both are very goo long range rifles.. We have a Wolf and Cougar problem in NW montana amd the Grizzleys out number our black bear now.

Riflehunter 1776; I guess because my grandfather came to america in 1651 from Sweden, I like the 6.5 cal.. by the way in 2002, I was in Stokholm at the royal Palace and the guards had FN mausers as their weapons and I was supprised knowing how good the swed small ring rifle is. Ant way I do kow both are very goo long range rifles.. We have a Wolf and Cougar problem in NW montana amd the Grizzleys out number our black bear now.

Back in 1651 when your ancestors came here, we had mountain lions in PA, but they weren't much of a problem. Now we only have millenials walking their dogs through the woods during hunting season, trespassers hunting out of my stand on private property, and poachers shooting the deer whenever they see them. All things considered, I'd be happy to trade for the mountain lions back.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.