6.5-06 or 6.5-06 a-square

The 6.5-06 started out as a Wildcat which means that some reamers/smiths could've done things a hair different to the extent that you wouldn't be able to interchange ammo without extra care.

A-Square standardized the cartridge with SAAMI such that all future builds based on the 6.5-06 A-Square standard would be based on a common spec.

This also makes it possible for ammunition manufacturers to make ammo that works safely in any standard chamber. ...but, not necessarily true for older, pre-standardized chambers.

But, that's just my understanding which might be right or wrong.

-- richard

Does any OEM manufacturer chamber a rifle in the 6.5/06 A-Square?

Not that I know of. But I have a semi custom. Makes a nice venison getter.

Just built my second one, easiest "semi-wildcat" to form brass.
A-Square is out of business so no factory ammo is available. Strictly a hand loaders cartridge.
Most barrel makers offer this chambering in short chambered & prefit barrels. Most smiths have these or can get the reamer of your choice.
Great round if you decide to go with it. Similar ballistically to 6.5-284 with brass availability better (minus the correct headstamp).

I put together a 6.5x06AI for my nephew.
AG stock, older 700 action proof steel barrel had JGS make the reamer for 140 Bergers. It's a hammer.
3160 with the Berger 140 elite hunters in a 26" tube.
I necked down 30-06 Lapua brass and neck turned them to a .293 loaded round.
Fireformed his brass getting rounds down the barrel to get through the speed up process.

I had a 6.5 A-square built this spring...

It became SAMI spec in 2002 if I recall,,, it didn't take off,,, but lots of custom rifle builders picked up the reamers...

There was a fellow on this forum a few years ago that built 6 or 7 of them,,, the only reason I did 1 was the felt recoil of this cartridge in a mid weight heavy rifle is very close to a 25/06,,, at least in my 11.9 lb built...

A 1980 Remington model 700 BDL in left hand...
25" Bob Jury Stainless Steel barrel 1:8 twist...
Trigger Tech.
Vortex 3-15x50 ERB-C reticle laminated

She's a shooter,,, its based on a fake M-40 A-1 with a semi drop down pistol grip with a beautiful factory wood stock,,, we opened up the barrel channel for the new barrel that is 1mm thicker then a factory Remington sporter barrel...

A 2.8 coutuour mid size varmit barrel,,, a bit heavy in the all day packing category,,, but its not that bad since I only hunt the foot hills along the Rocky Mountain Range...
6.5 A-Square
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7jcw4948cnndFSib6

Cheers from the North

Yes L. Sherman,,, I did the 30/06 Lapua brass,,, I thined the necks down to 13 thou,,, sized the brass down to 6.5,,, then did 2 fire forms...

The neck thining once again to 11 thou,,, anneal brass again to get a smoooooth neck tension...

Hornady made me some precision dies with 3 different size balls so I can adjust the neck tension... Floating collar in the die to help lesson neck run-out...

Remember to de-prime in first step,,, then set the ball high """up""" in the die to lesson """case neck run out."""

If a person gets the sizing die correctly set,,, you'll see less than 1 thou run-out,,, .5 is what I like to see...

This is my first ever Wildcat cartridge,,, so I spend a lot of time paying attention to details on the brass prep...

I'm going to test some 30/06 or 270 Nosler Brass this year,,, I heard it's a bit softer and I hope it cuts down on the Extrem Spread between the shots...

I won't know this till I give it a try...

Cheers from the North

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.