Crimping a 6.5 06

Elkhellhole

Hello everyone. Newby here.
I have a 6.5 06 that was made for me 36 years ago. Gave it to my father as a gift later on and just received it back. I'm looking for answers, (new to reloading) HELP, on factory crimping my bullets. Crimp or not to crimp? We've been using all these years 140 gr. Sierra BT Spitzers. I recently bought 200 Hornady 140 gr. SST bullets. They have a cannelure, the Sierra does not. I'm thinking of crimping my new loads, when I can finally find my powder, brass and primers, geesh it hard. I can find all the different 6.5 factory crimping dies but not for my 6.5 06?!?. I see Creedmoor, AI, 284 mag etc. So...what do I need? Lol.
If this helps, I have use 30 06 brass and 25 06 brass as well (I do not own either of these rifles/caliburs so they're will be no confusion, serious problems).
Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Best,
Dave
Ps: I'm in the market for new 25 06, preferred, or 30 06 brass. I've read I shouldn't use once fired brass not from my rifle!?

Look up Butter Bean's "Why I crimp"
In search. It's great info and amazing help. I fallowed his set up for my wife's 7-08 and my 300wm and improved accuracy and not worried about bullet slippage as he explained what he experienced before he started crimping.
I will, thanks for the tip!

I have a 6.5 06 that was made for me 36 years ago. Gave it to my father as a gift later on and just received it back. I'm looking for answers, (new to reloading) HELP, on factory crimping my bullets. Crimp or not to crimp? We've been using all these years 140 gr. Sierra BT Spitzers. I recently bought 200 Hornady 140 gr. SST bullets. They have a cannelure, the Sierra does not. I'm thinking of crimping my new loads, when I can finally find my powder, brass and primers, geesh it hard. I can find all the different 6.5 factory crimping dies but not for my 6.5 06?!?. I see Creedmoor, AI, 284 mag etc. So...what do I need? Lol.
If this helps, I have use 30 06 brass and 25 06 brass as well (I do not own either of these rifles/caliburs so they're will be no confusion, serious problems).
Best,
Dave
Ps: I'm in the market for new 25 06, preferred, or 30 06 brass. I've read I shouldn't use once fired brass not from my rifle!?

Thank you, I just purchased a Lee reloading press, etc. The anniversary pkg. Is this the crimping die i need? And where can I find one or can I go through Lee precision?

I just purchased this die from Lee precision. Do I need anything else?
Thanks again
Best Dave

I buy stuff directly from Lee Precision. The Lee 6.5X65R crimp die looks like a useful item & should work on 6.5-06 brass formed from different cartridges. Never used one but might get one.

The 6.5-06 is an excellent cartridge. I have owned at least 1 for many years. When making ammo, check to see if a .264 bullet can be slip fit inside the neck of a fired brass if formed from .30-06. If not, some neck turning may be required. This should not be required when necking up .25-06 & down .270. I shoot many rounds of 6.5-06 every year and routinely turn necks to .288 for my rifles. I chuck brass into my cordless & use a RCBS case turner tool with a 6.5 pilot. Eventually you might get into this. Trimming is always needed.

At one time the 6.5 140 Sierra Game King was my favorite 6.5-06 bullet, I used them with H4831 at just under 3,000 fps at ranges up to 1,000.

Buying stuff for reloading is like a never-ending situation - seems like something else is either needed or wanted. Various manuals can help with gear selection.

I'm guessing that die will work as is, although the '06 case is slightly shorter(~1.5mm). You can take a bit off the bottom of the collet if you decide it needs it.

I buy stuff directly from Lee Precision. The Lee 6.5X65R crimp die looks like a useful item & should work on 6.5-06 brass formed from different cartridges. Never used one but might get one.

The 6.5-06 is an excellent cartridge. I have owned at least 1 for many years. When making ammo, check to see if a .264 bullet can be slip fit inside the neck of a fired brass if formed from .30-06. If not, some neck turning may be required. This should not be required when necking up .25-06 & down .270. I shoot many rounds of 6.5-06 every year and routinely turn necks to .288 for my rifles. I chuck brass into my cordless & use a RCBS case turner tool with a 6.5 pilot. Eventually you might get into this. Trimming is always needed.

At one time the 6.5 140 Sierra Game King was my favorite 6.5-06 bullet, I used them with H4831 at just under 3,000 fps at ranges up to 1,000.

Buying stuff for reloading is like a never-ending situation - seems like something else is either needed or wanted. Various manuals can help with gear selection.
Yes, I use the same powder as well. I'm hoping the sst bullets will be a good choice. Loved my gun when I was younger and its nice to have back again. That ol'e Lilja barrel is such a master piece!

Well, I quess I'm having problems with ordering from lee, so I think I'll give them a call. Something to do with my address, lol

Best,
Dave
Unless you're shooting really hot charges in a bolt gun or loading them into an automatic you don't "need" to crimp them into the cannelure.

Find the seating depth that gives you the best consistency in your groups and don't worry about the cannelure, that isn't it's purpose.

Now, I do use a factory crimp die to ensure consistent neck tension in everything I load and have for several years but it is only a light crimp and again, not dependent on the Cannelure or any other mark on the bullet.

Loading for a wildcat cartridge will accelerate your learning curve but data is available in many manuals & online on Nosler site. After decades of 6.5-06 loading, I am turning necks and annealing brass. Necking down and neck sizing work hardens brass. The 6.5X65R crimp die (not common) should be a good addition to have but as pointed out the collet might need to be shortened for use with 6.5-06 brass; this may be done with a common mill file. I plan to buy one soon, if available, direct from Lee. I have done stuff like this to make .260 R collet dies work for a 6.5X47L. Good accuracy may be expected for the 6.5-06.

IMG_0822.JPG

Last edited:

Recent Posts