6.5 06 Lee collet die

No, I never tried the 260 mandrel, rockz. Boomtube, Lee gave me a distance of .020 as the range a collet could handle. That seems big to me and the gal didn't seem too sure so take that for what it's worth.

Ok, here's how you can do it.
Take the 260 mandrel and the bushing that it sits in and switch those with the 270's assembly.
You will get a good fit and it will also squeze the collet down to the right diameter.

I just got home from out of town and did this with my 300win and 7mm rem mags.

I put the 7mm mandrel and bushing into the 300win mag die and "viola"
I ended up with a 7mm-300win mag.

Last edited:
most guys make 6.5-06 brass out of 25-06 brass. It's pretty easy to do, and your only necking up the brass .007". You'll still have to fire form the brass.
gary

Trickymissfit, I have decided to use 270 brass since it costs half as much, and I don't have a tight neck chamber.

you can make it work just as well, but the job in the end will be a lot harder. The trick wit .270 brass is the get the neck where it meets the shoulder as best as you can. Then the next hassel with be fire forming the brass. The brass must be solid between the bolt face and the shoulder seating in the chamber. Get your hands on some Imperial Die Sizing Wax, and very lightly coat the neck before running the brass thru the die.
gary

Rockz did you get a chance to check those case necks to see if they are out of round at all? I'm wondering what the extra travel on the collet does to the necks, if anything. If they turned out fine then this is a great little piece of information, and has just saved me some cash. I'll just get the .270 dies from Ebay and order a .261 mandrel and appropriate bushing from Lee. Hey woods, the lady at Lee said they had no minimum to buy, they may have changed that policy and I thought you might appreciate knowing about the change. Trickymissfit, if I FL size, then fire form, and then neck size I should be ok on the neck shoulder junction placement, right?

Rockz did you get a chance to check those case necks to see if they are out of round at all? I'm wondering what the extra travel on the collet does to the necks, if anything. If they turned out fine then this is a great little piece of information, and has just saved me some cash. I'll just get the .270 dies from Ebay and order a .261 mandrel and appropriate bushing from Lee. Hey woods, the lady at Lee said they had no minimum to buy, they may have changed that policy and I thought you might appreciate knowing about the change. Trickymissfit, if I FL size, then fire form, and then neck size I should be ok on the neck shoulder junction placement, right?

a few years back a dealer gave me two complete sets of Lee Collet dies (.223 & 22-250). I had problems with both of the sets, and just never could quite get there with them. The neck sizer gave me out of round necks on both dies, but if I took it a step further and shaved the necks everything came out OK. I also didn't see any improvment neck to shoulder concentricity. The seater left a lot to be desired, and just gave up on it shortly.
gary

Would a 7-08 Lee collet die neck size 7-08AI cases? If not I'm assuming from what was said earlier that a custom die could be purchased.

Thank you.

Would a 7-08 Lee collet die neck size 7-08AI cases? If not I'm assuming from what was said earlier that a custom die could be purchased.

Thank you.

Yes, the Lee website specifically says that the Lee Collet for the parent cartridge can be used to size AI calibers. Under the FAQ section

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.