6.5 06 Lee collet die

jakelly

Can I form a 6.5 06 collet neck size die from a 260 rem. die and a 270 win die? I want to use this die only for neck sizing, and i can get both dies used cheaper than a Lee custom die. Will the 260 die work by itself?

Thanks much I wont bother, but maybe you could provide an explanation as to why it won't work, if that isn't too much trouble.

The critical measurement is the distance from the case head to the neck/shoulder junction. The Lee Collet has a tube on the inside, the bottom of the tube contacts the case holder and raises up into the die until the splits at the top of the tube are squeezed onto the mandrel by a constriction on the inside of the die body. The tube is one piece. You can not change the length of the tube.

However, you can fool the Lee Collet by inserting a washer on top of the shell holder
DSCN0030.jpg

Now the critical case-head-to-neck/shoulder dimensions are:

6.5-06 is 2.1730"
260 rem is 1.7797"

for a difference of .3933" which is about 4 washers worth. IOW you could thread your 260 rem Lee Collet in your press, insert a 6.5-06 case in the shell holder and put 4 washer of ~.10" thickness each around the case and it would move the collets up to the neck of the 6.5-06 case.

Unless my math is wrong.

Last edited:
Woods explanation is correct. If you know anything about neck dies forget it, the LEE collet dies are a whole different tool.

His "work around" is also correct but, IMHO, it's more trouble than it's worth for other than a few rounds.

You can use the 270 die and try the 260 mandrel with it.
If it's not long enough you can turn the 270 mandrel down to the desired size
or possibly get just the mandrel in the correct size from lee

Ok thats what I was thinking Rockz, and thank you boomtube and woods for the great information. I have never used a collet die and didn't realize the tube contacted the shell holder. Have any of you gentlemen ever swapped internals - (mandrel or collet) on one of these dies? Thanks for the insight (pun intended).

I get different sized mandrels from Lee

DSCN1547.jpg

Tried spinning one and reducing one with sandpaper but got inconsistant shaft diameters and they are only $5.00 from Lee (minimum order though)

BTW - let us know if the 260 rem mandrel works in the 270 collet die

Last edited:
Woods I will let the forum know if this swap works, and mick I really want to try this collet neck die; the engineering is superior and produces a finished product with much less runout - a homerun. I will be on the phone with Lee tomorrow.

"You can use the 270 die and try the 260 mandrel with it."

You could try it. Doubt it will wo't work tho. There is a fixed limit to how far down any collet can be squeezed. The "tube" is the lower end of the collet, it must be pushed up by the shell holder, with the case fully contained inside, for the upper collet end to work on the neck by compressing it against the sizing mandrel/decapper rods show in Wood's photos. Therefore, it's length dependant by case class and a .260 collet is too short to allow the tube end to touch the shell holder when a longer length case is inside the die.

Lee's collet neck sizer is the absolute best available for factory chambered rifles, IMHO. I haven't used a conventional or bushing neck die since I got my first Lee some 18 years ago. I suspect Lee's price for a custom neck die is less than the cost of RCBS' less effective neck dies for a wildcat. And I have three old RCBS neck dies I no longer use for just that reason (.22-250, .243, 6mm International).

Last edited:
Ok so the mandrel can be swapped, but I would need a long 6.5 collet maybe from a 264 win., which could work by itself anyhow, and which isn't offered standard by Lee, so... same price. I could try to open up the slots on the 270 collet and get to 6.5 range, but thats really not practical or economical. I yield Mr. Lee you can have your asking price. Man boomtube thank you for all the info. and helpful suggestions everybody.

I talked to Lee today and they told me if I purchased the appropriate mandrel that a 270 collet die should size 6.5 06 brass. So it sounds like a .261 mandrel and a 270 collet will work, but I wonder about the shape of the collet as it sizes down 13 14 thousandths. I can't see how it'll still be perfectly round for both the 270 and 264.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.