500 yrd deer setup

Miguel7mm08

hey guys just had some questions about my set up... I shoot a browning a-bolt with 24 inch heavy barrel chambered in 7mm-08, I hand load 168 bthp berger bullets with 37.5 grains of varget powder; put me at 2600 fps and 3/4 inch groups at 150 yds. my scope is a bushnell elite 3200 10x40 with tactical windage and elevation knobs and a mil-dot rectical. How well will this perform at 500 yards on deer and coyotes? :)
thanks Migz.

If you're marksman enough - it should do fine. You're using a proven cartridge that is known for fine accuracy. You're using good bullets. The "tactical" style elevation and windage adjustments on your scope should help you dial in quickly for a longish range shot.

Coyotes are a great way to practice for that big ol' buck... I'd encourage you to get out and shoot a lot - out to 500 yards if you expect to take a shot at that range. A good laser rangefinder is another great piece of gear and I think pretty close to essential for long range hunting.

Regards, Guy

I killed one this season at 944yds with a 260 shooting a 140gr Berger at close to 2900fps. You'll be fine with the 7-08 at 500yds as long as you have your ducks in a row and are used to shooting at that range

thanks guys for the feed back I apreciate the help anything you'd recommend if i wanted to upgrade later (thinking 300 win mag topped with nikon) i reallize that for bigger game the 7mm08 might have to stay home and wait for deer season... thanks again Migz

It woulden't be that hard to step the horsepower up in that rifle to either the 284 , 7mm RSUM or even the 7WSM , with a rechamber and a bit of bolt work , you would likely have to single shot it with the two later cases especialy with the long bullets to get all the good out of their cases

Miguel

The 7/08 is very impressive on big game when the right
bullet is used, Hear are my recomendations.

For deer size game 120gr blistic tips at 3000+ft/sec for
1000ft/lbs energy at 650 yrds.

Hogs and larger 140 gr Accubonds 2800+ft/sec for 1000+
ft/lbs energy at 600yrds.

Elk size game 150 bt or 160gr Accubonds (still over 1000
ft/lbs at 600yrds and 1500+ft/lbs at 350 yrds.

I prefer larger caliber,s for big game at long distances but
will not hesitate to use the 7/08 if the distance is right
for the game being hunted.

Other bullets brands of the same weight and expansion rate can
be used with good results.

So far I have limited my self to these distances with 100% success
on big game.

Have fun and good hunting
J E CUSTOM

thanks again guys, its nice to be able to comunicate with ppl who've done this alot and have the experience, knowledge and willingness to help others! anyone knoe anything about the 162 gr A-Max in 284. bergers are awsome just curious really thanks again. Migz

one more question i'm looking for a synthetic stock but my local gunsmith said they dont make a synthetic for A bolt short action (7mm08) what would be a descent stock for 500 yard shots thanks migz

if you like laminated wood, call Joel Russo. he can make you just about anything. it'll be inletted and you can finish it. save a couple hundred bucks. 717-805-0940

Miguel

HS precision makes one and bell&carlson also makes one.

If you can find a remingtion take off they made a laminate
and a composit (Not the Tupperware one).

Or as dave suggested go with a custom stock.

Accurate Innovations makes a real nice laminate Varminter
with the full length bedding system.(I have two in a short
action rem and mod7 that realy shoot) .053 100yrd 5 shot
group and .177 100yrd 5 shot group.

Just a few more options
J E CUSTOM

Miguel

HS precision makes one and bell&carlson also makes one.

If you can find a remingtion take off they made a laminate
and a composit (Not the Tupperware one).

Or as dave suggested go with a custom stock.

Accurate Innovations makes a real nice laminate Varminter
with the full length bedding system.(I have two in a short
action rem and mod7 that realy shoot) .053 100yrd 5 shot
group and .177 100yrd 5 shot group.

Just a few more options
J E CUSTOM

Not to hijack but did you skim bed these or just bolt on?

Last edited:
Miguel.......

You have to really have your stuff together to nail a deer at 500 yards. I don't know where you live, but they can run a long way after being hit.

It is a good idea for you to have a range finder and a wind indicator for longer shots. Let me give you an example. I hunt power lines, my rifles are finely tuned machines, with trajectories marked on the scope. I presonally don't shoot a 7/08 past 325 yds due to wind drift. Two years ago, I was sitting on the power line in my ladder stand. I have been hunting this one buck all year. I usually carry my 7 mag, but put up another stand that day and wanted a lighter rifle, so I picked up the 7/08. I had intended to hunt a stand down on the creek bottom, but changed my mind at the last minute. I had been sitting on the power line for perhaps 30 minutes and the large buck that I had been hunting all year walked out at 320 yards. I had a quartering breeze blowing at about 10-12 mph. I held off a little, and at the shot, the deer took off. It's thick as a jungle off both sides of the power line. I looked and looked...could not even find a drop of blood. Two days later I rattled in the deer and killed him, and noticed that he had a hole through both ears where my bullet had hit him.

The bullet had blown quite a ways over that 320 yards; I was shooting a 140g Ballistic tip at 2900 fps.

500 yards is a very long ways, especially for a 10x scope. The deer will probably look like a fly looking through your scope and the size of your cross hair is a critical consideration.

Practice, practice, practice!

Good luck and best wishes!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts