500 yrd deer setup

SNIP

500 yards is a very long ways, especially for a 10x scope. The deer will probably look like a fly looking through your scope and the size of your cross hair is a critical consideration.

Practice, practice, practice!

Good luck and best wishes!

Hmmm, I think that I would respectfully disagree.

A while back someone asked about a 7x scope for 300 yards and here was my reply:

I had a chance to test my scope at 7x yesterday.

From where I sat I could see a power-line tower that according to Google Earth was 408 yards away from my position. There is a Danger No Trespassing sign that measures approximately 18h x 24w inches.

I sat with my back to a tree and had a tall bi-pod attached for hunting.

First, I left the scope on 3x. I could not read the writing, younger eyes may have been able to :)
With no particular spot to aim, I found that the crosshairs danced around but stayed easily in the kill zone.

Second, I adjusted the scope to 7x. The writing was clear, even for me. I decided that the "D" in Danger looked to be a nice size target, and at 7x I could keep the crosshairs on the "D" without too much trouble.

When I left for the morning I went over to the tower to see the sign. The letter "D" looked to be about 4 inches high and about 3 inches wide.

IMO a 7X scope, assuming a good rest is certainly more than enough scope for hunting.....and if any "letters" get in your way...they are toast :)

edge.

Not to hijack but did you skim bed these or just bolt on?

I pillar and full action bed all stocks,laminate,composite and wood
even if they have a bedding block and unless they have pillars I
install them to.

It actually saves time and it is much easer to do it all the first time
than to clean and remove the old spot bedding and then start over.

It may not be nessary on all stocks but as they say "It cant hurt"
and this way I dont spend alot of time working up loads and finding
out that I have to start over after installing pillars and/or bedding.

With a custom barrel,Blue printed action and a total bedding job
I can feel confident that all I have to do is work on finding the best
load.

J E CUSTOM

HS precision makes one and bell&carlson also makes one.

If you can find a remingtion take off they made a laminate
and a composit (Not the Tupperware one).

J E did you realize that he said for a Browning A-bolt or are you saying that a Rem stock can be made to fit a Browning?

David

i think the words in the last sentance of j b customs post sums it up best. ( limiting myself ) as with any cartridge, shot placment is key. its even more critical with smaller cartridges at distance. just because you might have success at 500, dosent mean to try for 700. sometimes its hard to say no. trust me, it aint worth it. as soon as your able, get a bigger hammer. a little whitetail can just walk away if not hit properly with enough energy. another reason why a spotter is so crucial.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.