All setup for long range, then . . .

Got my Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range McMillan 28 Nosler all set up with good Leupold optics, an excellent shooting load using the 143 grain Hammer Hunter bullet and all dialed in. Then this buck shows himself to me at 100 yards last week in Colorado ! LOL Oh well, better to be prepared and not have to use it than not be prepared for a long range shot and need to do it. 216" of muley awesomeness. 30" wide, 40' of mass. Still in shock this great buck crossed my path.View attachment 157770 View attachment 157771 View attachment 157772
NICE !!

One mighty fine buck you got there. Congratulations. I agree that's it's always better to be prepared and not need it, then to need it and not be prepared.

Awesome stud of a mule deer!!!

These type encounters have me ordering some Hammers for my 7RM. Working up a load for Bergers to shoot at steel but for this very reason I'm liking the Hammers more and more every day for hunting.

Why the Hammers now and not the Barnes, etc.? Seems like just another flavor of the month fad. I've shot Barnes, Noslers, and others for many years and they do the job very well. Maybe it's the hype of "if I just had that car, or shirt or … I could get that girl of my dreams." This is nothing more than bad logic.

Why the Hammers now and not the Barnes, etc.? Seems like just another flavor of the month fad. I've shot Barnes, Noslers, and others for many years and they do the job very well. Maybe it's the hype of "if I just had that car, or shirt or … I could get that girl of my dreams." This is nothing more than bad logic.

LOL

Got my Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range McMillan 28 Nosler all set up with good Leupold optics, an excellent shooting load using the 143 grain Hammer Hunter bullet and all dialed in. Then this buck shows himself to me at 100 yards last week in Colorado ! LOL Oh well, better to be prepared and not have to use it than not be prepared for a long range shot and need to do it. 216" of muley awesomeness. 30" wide, 40' of mass. Still in shock this great buck crossed my path.View attachment 157770 View attachment 157771 View attachment 157772
I built a 257 bake for muley hunting in the open of se washington. Opening morning walked across the top of a draw and there lay a very nice 4 x 4 with guards . Oh well, use the long range capability next time!

I am JEALOUS! GR8 BUCK

WOW. Congrats how did the hammer hunter perform
I'm totally sold on the Hammer Hunters. Amazing accuracy and easy to tune loads with them. And, flawless terminal performance. If ever there was a perfect setup to have a bullet blow up on impact, this was it with the 28 Nosler and this bullet still travelling about 3250 fps at impact but the Hammer was perfect. Expansion on impact with explosive damage inside and complete penetration with nice exit. I don't think I'll shoot anything but Hammers for hunting from now on. Shot a lot of different stuff over the years but Hammer is on to something special

I can totally see your point. I've shot Barnes and Nosler Paritions for years also with good success. The Hammers are just going to a new level. I've never had anything shoot so accurately with so little need for tinkering with seating depth, etc. And the research behind the way they are constructed is the most sound I've seen. Here is the research if you haven't read it you should: http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html actual terminal performance does what they are supposed to do

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.