500 yard rig

I have a 6-06 which is pretty much the same case capacity. (splitting hairs) I use 70gr Nosler ballistic tips for PD's, 88gr Berger FB HIGH BC Varmints for yote and 95gr Berger VLD's for deer an goats. It is more rifle then these animals will ever need. It wears a 1:10 krieger. I stay away form ballistic tips for anything but ground dwelling critters. I have had them blow up on the shoulders of coyotes in my .223AI The 70gr Nosler @ 3800 FPS sends those PD's into the air in chunks. :D

Good choice in a 500 yard gun.

Jon
Thanks I have been playing with the 107 gr. Smk in it. Getting around high .2 groups at 100 with it and around an inch group around 400 yards. 3 shots. I couldn't believe I got the 107s to stabalize in it since it's 1-9.25 twist.

Iv been tryng to find a 223 with 1-9 twist so I could then make it ai. If not I may get the 22.250 with 1-14 and rechamber it to 22.243 so I may be able to get away with a heavier bullets with all the velocity.

The CZ527 Varmint is 1:9 twist.

See: CZ-USA -> CZ 527 VARMINT

My go-to GH rifle is a CZ527 American (1:12) shooting 40g bullets @ ~3650 fps. Definitely a 300 yard or less sort of rifle, but works well here in So. Central PA farm country.

Fitch

well I've been around, and have owned several 500+ yard rigs in the past and present. I honestly think you need to start thinking 6mm something when you slip past 400 yards. A plain jane 6mm remington is capable of making steady hits at 600 yards in the right rifle and with the right shooter. A 6mm AI is an honest 750 yard rifle with the right bullet and the right shooter. But I'm also one of those folks that think that when your looking at 700 yards plus; it's time to move on up to a 6.5 or a 7mm something. Sure you can make a 6mm AI or a 6mm Vias shoot 900 yards, but it's a lot easier with a 6.5!

Now I shoot a lot of .223 these days. Not my favorite caliber, but it works really good (and that's what counts!). Onething I've learned about the .223 is that for some oddball reason it has some really bad barrel harmonics (have noticed this in every .223 rifle I've shot over the last 42 years). Yet they don't seem to be there as much in the .222. Now my dog rig is a .223 national match in a 20" barrel. I lost about 75fps, and seem to have reduced the harmonic factor about 70%. I have a hunch that a .222 Ackley might be the ticket here, and allow me to use a 22" barrel (about the max for the .223 case family anyway)
gary

Personally, they're both good. But I would look at the .22-250 in a Savage, they make them in a 1:12" twist (if you're lookin' to shoot the lighter bullets) then maybe improve the chamber to AI. That would be a pretty hard gun to beat, and would have a ballistic edge over the .204 (wind drift is what really matters, especially at the ranges you are talking, drop is easy to compensate for, as it is much more of a constant variable). I have a 1:12" 22-250 (not AI, yet haha), and if the wind is decent, I shot hits are regular at a 6"x6" plate at 400-450 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts