500 yard rig

My friend who shot those Hornady SuperFormance Match bullets has that Remington with the triangle barrel and the built in muzzle brake. Wouldn't have thought it would be so accurate; but the combo of the two worked great.

happen to live on locust st. mr majestic?

savage builds both the 223 and 22/250 with 9 twist.
i took both on a p.d. hunt last year. i had about 500 rounds of 223/40gr. v max.
had about 300 rounds for my 22/250 ai. (had it rechambered) loaded w/69gr smks.
all i can say is b.c. my ***. the wind had those 40s all over the place.
great to about 200 yds.
after about 2 hours the first day i determined the 223 w/ 40s innafective on long shots. out came the 22/250 ai and that performed well to about 500 yds.
after that get a 6mm or bigger.
next trip will have 50s in the 223 and 69s in the 22/250ai.
the 3rd gun will be a 6/284 for over 500 yds.

as for the 204, it cant do anything a 223 wont do better.

Last edited:
I would say if your money is tight so you are looking for a cheap factory rifle get a 220 swift 1-14 twist. My longest shot on rock chucks was 423yd on a baby one in a slight wind with 55gn vmax. I never really tryed to stretch it further because at the time it was far for me. Shot many at 300 or so. This is just a great round to shoot. I have mine getting rebarreled to a 220 swift ai 1-8" twist so I can reach even farther in the wind.
Hope this helps

Well guys I went out and got a 6mm-284 with 26 inch heavy barrel and 1-9 1/8 thinking bout 95 gr nosler ballistic tips for deer and groundhogs. Execpt past 500 on groundhogs. But does anyone have this caliber and use them on chucks or deer?

Well guys I went out and got a 6mm-284 with 26 inch heavy barrel and 1-9 1/8 thinking bout 95 gr nosler ballistic tips for deer and groundhogs. Execpt past 500 on groundhogs. But does anyone have this caliber and use them on chucks or deer?

I've read many good things about it for many years. I was going to have my old ruger rebarreled to that, but the smith said I might have trouble with it feeding in the ruger. Only downside I ever heard from anyone was poor barrel life, but I heard that about the 220 Swift too:rolleyes:, and I shot one of those for nearly 5000 rounds before having it re done.?

An accurate 6-284 should work great on deer and chucks for a long ways out there.

very old friend, lowell a- - - d, and john w - - - - - - - th.
We are friends with the community Dentist's family and helped the borough with the crow infestation through Mayor Clair's "Crow Busters". I was getting my haircut downtown one night and heard a gunshot. When I peered out the front door there was a busboy from the Sutter Inn with a double barrel shooting crows out of the tree in front of the Police station. That's when I knew I found a home!
Forgive me for the thread hijack.

the 6x284 is better with an 8 twist with the heavier bullets. the 9 should work pretty well however.
the problem with the small calibers on large game is downrange energy.
fine to cripple an 800yd coyote, but a deer is another thing.
i personaly think of my 6x284 as a long range varmit gun.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a deer at 500 with the 6-284 cartridge/95 bullet. Just wait for a good broadside shot, Breathe, Relax, Aim and Squeeze. Even if the velocity is only 3300, that's still 1000 ft lbs of energy at 500 yds.......plenty for most deer, especially if the only bone that's hit is a rib.

Yea our deer around here go 130 average and 170 tops. I'm goin to try and get it to shoot the 105 gr amaxs I had a 243 with same twist that shot them great

Yea our deer around here go 130 average and 170 tops. I'm goin to try and get it to shoot the 105 gr amaxs I had a 243 with same twist that shot them great

If it will shoot them, that could add another 200 yds capability.
Energy would then still be over 1000 ft lbs at 700 yds (assuming 3200 mv).

Our deer out here are quite a bit bigger, mature bucks are 250 pretty easily, I've weighed some that were 300 lbs. With the smaller deer you mention, you could probably even get by with less energy needed, so long as you make a good broadside shot.

Sounds like a fun project, best of luck.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.