.500 S+W Trouble

4ked Horn

Dad bought a new 500 S+W performance center 10.5" bbl. We shot the gun a few times and were happy to find that the recoil is quite manageable but both dad and my bro got cut on the left cheek. It was actually a pinhole size puncture but it did draw blood. The hole was about an inch below their left eye. They were shooting right handed. I have shot many other revolvers and never had this happen. It seems that some sort of particle, either lead or unburned powder, was directed up through the cylinder gap and then back along the underside of the top strap. When I shot it I did feel some debris on my face but having shot black powder revolvers before I did not think much of it. It did not happen on every shot.

Has anyone else experienced this with this or any other revolver? Is there a fix for this?

This is a fun gun to shoot otherwise. It knocks the sap out of chunks of firewood.

I wonder if the forcing cone was not machined properly or the chambers are not indexing properly with the forcing cone. You could be getting pieces of bullet jacket being shaved off as they enter the barrel. I could be way off base but just my uninformed 2 cents. I would definitely have it checked out, sounds dangerous to one's eyesight.

Dad just got the gun back from the factory and that is what they did. Dad says they opened the forcing cone a bit. I haven't had a chance to inspect it or shoot it yet but it already seemed to have a fairly generous taper as it was. I'll respond with our results in a couple weeks.

Something isn't right. Check it out and get it corrected before risking it any further.

I am with Sambo: Having worked on SMiths through the model 29 for many decades, the only time I ever found this problem was when the timing of the cylinder to barrel was off. ANd yes, that would be lead being shaved off.

The old day Smith company would have checked the timing first. Hope they checked the timing this time.

How can I check the timing when I go visit to shoot the gun again? If the timing is off that much wont that affect pressures and accuracy?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.