.500 S&W Loads

johnnyk

Looking to build some LR loads for this beast. I'm thining sub .300gn loads for the highest velocity and flattest trajectory possible. I know Barnes has the 275gn XPB, anything else out there and/or available? What are you T. rex hunters using? :) JohnnyK.

I have not tried anything under 300grs.I have been using 350gr Speers with 45grs of H110.Groups at 50 and 100 yards are very good.If I shoot three shot groups I always have two of them touching.

Thanks Pa,
I tried some 350gn XTP Mags today ahead of 39.0gn of IMR4227/CCI 250 primers and they grouped about 2-3" at 100yds. The recoil with this load is less than the Hornady factories of the same weight. Couldn't chrono and not sure what max charge is for this bullet/powder.
I don't have any H110 but do have about 4-5lbs of W296. These two powders are tit for tat in most reloading manuals. Thanks again. JohnnyK.

John,
the most consistent 100 yard groups I was getting was with Lil'Gun and the Barnes 375 grain bullets.

Erik

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.